starting strength gym

Thread: Returning to lifting after a heart attack

Default Returning to lifting after a heart attack

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi all,

I posted about this on the "elderly" list with no response. Hope it's all right to cross-post and hoping to get something back here. I had a heart attack a week ago, but am home, back to work with a stent in my LAD, and normal heart functioning.

I'm looking for some information about where lifting fits into the picture of cardiac rehab. Visited the rehab joint I’ll be using and it looks to be mostly cardio.

I will follow my doctors advice in the near term, but I know that very few doctors know much about lifting.

Any input and direction would be helpful.

Stats
    62, 5'8", 195 pounds
    Squat 290x5
    Dead 315x5 (increasing fatigue caused a slowdown on the DL. Now I know why)
    Bench 165x5
    Press 125x5

I think Starting Strength and being strong saved my life.

Thanks

There will be input.

mbdonner;
    Despite 24 years in the Air Force, the only regular exercise I did was running. After retirement I took a sedentary job and ate poorly. At age 64 I required a double coronary artery bypass graft. I finished the prescribed cardiac rehab program which was entirely very light cardio. Five months after surgery I felt that I had to do more, so I went to see my old friend Rip (who admonished me for years to, "Get your fat ass into my gym"). Two years now and although I can't match your lift numbers, Starting Strength has me stronger than I was at age 25. Or ever. I no longer consider myself to be a heart patient at all. My doctor has twice cut my diabetes medication in half. I turn 67 soon and have a chance to watch my 3 granddaughters grow up. I guarantee you that being strong and Starting Strength saved your life. Unless there is some compelling reason not to, I suggest you return to your previous workouts ASAP.

If it were me, I'd take my prescribed medications, follow up as directed, and resume my training. Take some wieght off the bar, do a remedial LP, and go from there. That's what I would do....if it were me.