starting strength gym

Thread: Is this simple lordosis?

Default Is this simple lordosis?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi Rip, I don't know if I should be posting this to your main forum, but I thought I would try.

I'm a big guy -- 6'5'', 250 lbs - but not strong (on my third attempt at linear progression with months long lay-offs in between) and not "naturally athletic" -- also old-ish (55).

I've been bedeviled in the squat, the deadlift and the press by what I think is lordosis, but the bend is awfully high - in the middle of my back, so I'm not sure that's what it is called. I'm attaching a picture that I think shows the posture (it's a frame at 13 sec from the video of me squatting recently -- maybe the dynamic view adds a lot of information - and the resolution is better. I'll also link the 33 sec video) - I know this isn't the right angle for a form check, it was just a random shot that seemed to capture this bend in the middle of my back well:

picture: Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 19.51.40.jpg
    video:YouTube

What I am trying to do here is keep my chest up, keep my spinal erectors in contraction and squat -- but I seem to hinge about mid-back and my gut hangs way out, but more troubling is the bend in my spine at about the half-way point. I *think* I am setting my abdominal muscles, but it doesn't much look like it. Basically, I am not sure what this is or where to make adjustments.

I was hoping it is something common and obvious to an experienced eye. I suppose this is only really an "interesting" case to me because it's me and because my ignorance on matters of physical culture is so vast. If you tell me to post this in another forum, I will quickly do that. Obviously, any thoughts welcome in terms of what I am doing wrong and how to correct it.