Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench Press Form Check

Default Bench Press Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi! I've just started to learn the bench press. Here's my third session:

https://vimeo.com/83673826

Is my form ok so far? Max weight used (in the third set) was 47.5 kg.

Widen your grip by about two finger-widths on each side, and pinch your shoulder blades back behind you. Drive through your heels, arch your back more, and get tighter.

Thank you Tom, will do!

Ok, so I tried to get into a better position by shoving my shoulder blades together while pressing them into the bench and additionally pushing horizontal with my feet. I also widened the grip a little:

http://vimeo.com/83936474

Things on my mind:

• The arc in my back doesn't look very big, though it felt so to me.
    • Is it bad that my elbows seem to go below the bench on decent? I really feel that I have already pushed my scapulas together quite a lot.
    • Not sure about my elbows: are they vertical enough during the lift?

Probably should wear some brighter clothes next time.

Working on my form too, so a few questions...Is it a good thing to lift your head off the bench? Seems like a neck problem waiting to happen. Shouldn't the head be driving down into the bench to support the arch and push up?

Quote Originally Posted by crichton View Post
    The arc in my back doesn't look very big, though it felt so to me.
    You are correct, you don't have much of an arch.

Is it bad that my elbows seem to go below the bench on decent? I really feel that I have already pushed my scapulas together quite a lot.
    I am not sure if I understand. Your elbows much go below the level of the bench on the descent if the bar is to touch your chest. Alas, you really aren't pinching your shoulder blades back at all, either.

Not sure about my elbows: are they vertical enough during the lift?
    Your elbows are not the real concern here. Your lack of tightness and your protracted scapulae are. Squeeze everything tight before each rep. Pinch your shoulder blades back harder.

Quote Originally Posted by dlrecord70 View Post
    Working on my form too, so a few questions...Is it a good thing to lift your head off the bench? Seems like a neck problem waiting to happen. Shouldn't the head be driving down into the bench to support the arch and push up?
    Just the opposite. This very question is addressed in the bench press section of Starting Strength. Please read it. You need not lift your head off the bench, but you want to avoid driving your head down into the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    You are correct, you don't have much of an arch.
    Ok, so is it alright then if my physique doesn't allow for a bigger arch (I will work on that)?

I am not sure if I understand. Your elbows much go below the level of the bench on the descent if the bar is to touch your chest. Alas, you really aren't pinching your shoulder blades back at all, either.
    That the elbows should not go below the bench if you're pinching your shoulder blades together correctly, is something I picked up from a EliteFTS video, I think. Not sure if that's correct or more related to individual physique.

Your elbows are not the real concern here. Your lack of tightness and your protracted scapulae are. Squeeze everything tight before each rep. Pinch your shoulder blades back harder.
    Thanks coach, I'll try to work on these issues for my next vid.

Quote Originally Posted by crichton View Post
    That the elbows should not go below the bench if you're pinching your shoulder blades together correctly, is something I picked up from a EliteFTS video, I think. Not sure if that's correct or more related to individual physique.
    Please tell me they didn't say that.

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, I think I misunderstood him, my bad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QnwAoesJvQ#t=7m56s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast