starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Temporary squat substitutions

Default Temporary squat substitutions

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all.

Looking for an exercise to substitute squats until I can see a strength coach. I think I'm screwing up my hip flexors for one reason or another and may put squats to the side until I can see a coach and nail down the correct form. I am no stranger to soreness but this doesn't seem right as it never goes away and is getting progressively worse.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Have you tried a narrower stance? If my hip is getting angry, bring in the stance seems to help. The wider stance would be the better option, but sometimes you have to train around your injuries. Try a pretty close stance (real close), and slowly keep moving it out to see what is comfortable enough to squat with.

I can try giving that a shot. I've never had any type of hip issue and I think that I'm pretty flexible, so I'm surprised that this is even aggravating me at all. Squats are the most frustrating exercise I have encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by YouCrazyDiamond View Post
    Squats are the most frustrating exercise I have encountered.
    Oh yeah? How's your powerclean? ;-)

I agree with the idea that the correct substitute for squats is... squats. If the width of your stance bothers you, bring it in. You'll have to decide for yourself whether this necessitates a deload to accomplish.

Ha. Good point. I don't do the power clean for various reasons, but mostly because it could only be done in the 'crossfit' section of my gym which requires a separate membership. If I wanted to hang out with a bunch of sweaty dudes with their shirts off I would take the subway to the west village.

Ha. Good point. I don't do the power clean for various reasons, but mostly because it could only be done in the 'crossfit' section of my gym which requires a separate membership. If I wanted to hang out with a bunch of sweaty dudes with their shirts off I would take the subway to the west village.
    This lifting heavy shit business gets annoying, confusing, and frustrating sometimes. If we could only get the same benefits sitting on the couch eating Doritos...

But you have to squat if you can squat. Otherwise, you're a pussy. This is in the scripture.

The hip flexor pain sounds like a case of needing TUBOW to me. Post a form check video. They only let people power clean in one section of the gym, or they only let people drop loaded barbells with bumpers in one section of the gym? Because only one of those things is a reason not to power clean.

I haven't asked, to be fair, but I'm nearly certain that it is the latter. Are you going to give me a way around dropping the bar?

Form check from yesterday:
    http://youtu.be/cKlQSiIXVrI

Quote Originally Posted by Mahogany View Post
    This lifting heavy shit business gets annoying, confusing, and frustrating sometimes. If we could only get the same benefits sitting on the couch eating Doritos...

But you have to squat if you can squat. Otherwise, you're a pussy. This is in the scripture.
    I'm as "lift until you can't lift anymore" stubborn as the next guy but this hip flexor pain is pretty substantial. I'm not sure if it's soreness or an injury. In my experience, soreness goes away after one or two workouts where this hasn't corrected itself, and is possibly getting worse. I'm all about lifting but not incorrectly and not at the risk of damaging my body beyond microscopic muscle tears.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm as "lift until you can't lift anymore" stubborn as the next guy but this hip flexor pain is pretty substantial. I'm not sure if it's soreness or an injury. In my experience, soreness goes away after one or two workouts where this hasn't corrected itself, and is possibly getting worse. I'm all about lifting but not incorrectly and not at the risk of damaging my body beyond microscopic muscle tears.
    That being said, I'll probably swallow my pride and deload tomorrow and try again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast