starting strength gym

Thread: eff my life

Default eff my life

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    So ive been struggling with bad shoulders for a while now and went to a "sports physiotherapist"
    I thought I'd take a gamble because although he probably won't be able to fix it he might be able to diagnose it and maybe get a deep tissue massage.

I told him I'll be entering a powerlifting comp as soon as mycouldn't puters are fixed.
    He looked at me and said it's not an impingement and nothing to do with my rotator cuffs without touching me.
    He then went on to say I should use a bar with a 'v' in it as to not hurt my neck? I didnt know what this was and thought he meant a cambered squat bar, he then drew what looked like an ez bar. I disregarded this and said that I use the low bar position so my neck was fine. He couldn't understand this so we moved on. Nothing to do with my shoulder might I add.
    We then went onto what hurts it and I said the squat sometimes aggravates it when I dont put it in the right position and that I then cant bench. He then tolf me that I should bench with my feet up on the bench to not strain my lower back, I said my lower back was fine and I want to enter a competition so I couldn't put my feet up. Still completely off subject.
    So i finally get him to look at my shoulders and he gets me to lay on the bench belly down and he said he needed to 'free up' my scapula and cervical spine because I was tight, fair enough I thought. So he gets the oil and starts basically stroking my skin and thought he was just warming up my muscles. I was wrong that was the massage. To finish it up he gave me two exercises. One which I can only explain as a 70s dance and the other which was rolling my shoulders back and forth to stretch out.

So this has left me with shoulders that are still painful and my wallet much lighter.
    EFFF MY EFFFING LIFE.

What is this teacup you speak of?

It cost 50 quid and I dont know who jm3 is?

Some of those shoulder rehab exercises can help. Just try a few and see how they work (maybe not the ones he suggested, just look online). I would try a different squat grip too (wider, or maybe thumbs around bar), just to see if that changes the shoulder pain. Another option would be to bench on a different day than you squat. But I still would look at your grip, since you need to do all 3 at the competition.

I have been battling shoulder pain and do have a 50-70% tear of my supraspinatus, but with some shoulder rehab, changing squat grips, and just avoiding exercises that aggravate it (OHP for me), I was able to do some heavier benching again.

Welcome to the club, I'm pretty sure I tore something in my left shoulder back on Sept 25th doing a 245 lb. close grip bench.
    The majority of my training since then has been Safety Bar Squats, Deadlifts, Seated Cable Rows, and Barbell Rows.
    Benching is still a no go, but I have been able to start doing some light overhead pressing.
    Best of luck with your shoulders.

Calldor: illl throw some in and see if it helps with things. Squats are actually fine, the only time they're not is if I let form get sloppy or if I'm at a gym with shit bars that slip off my back. It's a vicious cycle with sloppy form because I get comfortable when my shoulder feels better and then i aggravate it again. I just wished I had a diagnosis, it would make things a lot easier. Are you going to have any kind of intervention on your shoulder or are you waiting until you absolutely need surgery or whatever. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Mes: oh that sucks man, I'm not that bad at the moment and over head press is completely fine unless I let the bar come to close to my clavicle on the way down. I think when my shoulder feels 'better' ill start to throw in some light close grip benches and see what happens. I'm pretty sure with any kind of pec work off the table I'm gonna grow a nice pair of tits. Cheers buddy, hope the shoulders feel better soon.