starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rubber coated weights

Default Rubber coated weights

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Went to buy a bar and now looking at setting up a home gym.
    What are the benefits of rubber coated weights over normal metal weights?
    Price for rubber coated is about 30% extra.

They will be used inside a garage so no weather issues. I have a concrete floor but will be will be building some sort of basic platform. I don't drop weights, more of a controlled descent with a bit of a bang at the end (as much as you can do in a gym).

If you have a platform then there really isn't any benefit.

The rubber coated ones are quieter, but that's about it. If you're just lifting in your garage, I'd go with the cheaper plates.

Be careful with rubber coated, the quality of them varies enormously. My experience of gyms tells me some will end up with cracked rubber that peels off and also sometimes broken metal around the hole. While others can remain immaculate for decades even with public use.

Old fashioned metal only plates are a safer bet.

One reason I'd rather not buy plastic covered plates is because you can't fix them if they're weighted wrong. Some of my iron plates are off by as much as 2lb and I used a grinder to shave them down to be equal to their counterpart. If you get a bad plate then you are stuck with it when it's coated.

Rubber compared to Iron

Pros:
    -quieter when dropped
    -hurts a lot less when you drop it on your foot
    -doesn't rust

Cons:
    -is weighted wrong a lot of the time (usually too light)
    -isn't as durable
    -is less manly and more costly

if you're going rubber, just go the extra mile and get bumpers IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Corrie View Post
    One reason I'd rather not buy plastic covered plates is because you can't fix them if they're weighted wrong. Some of my iron plates are off by as much as 2lb and I used a grinder to shave them down to be equal to their counterpart. If you get a bad plate then you are stuck with it when it's coated.
    How long does it take you off grind of 2lbs of material. Where on the plate do you grind it off?

I have a plate that is off by about 8 lbs. I was thinking of drilling holes along radials to keep it balanced. I was also thinking that just relegating it to prowler duty and buying 2 more plates would be A LOT easier.

Quote Originally Posted by rumblefish View Post
    How long does it take you off grind of 2lbs of material. Where on the plate do you grind it off?

I have a plate that is off by about 8 lbs. I was thinking of drilling holes along radials to keep it balanced. I was also thinking that just relegating it to prowler duty and buying 2 more plates would be A LOT easier.
    It was a lot more work than you'd think. I ground around the edges but it was going so slowly I started just pushing hard and putting deep dents in the edges. If it's off by 8 pounds drilling large holes would probably be faster. I only have two 45 plates so I was just trying to save the money in buying more. If you have a bunch of plates and can retire one to the prowler or don't mind buying more I'd go that way.

Corrie, you only have one pair of 45s? I think it's time to buy a few more!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by skipbeat View Post
    Corrie, you only have one pair of 45s? I think it's time to buy a few more!
    Yeah it's a pain to load all these little plates on but I'm just being cheap at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast