starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoes: what brand, where to buy, what to look for?

Default Shoes: what brand, where to buy, what to look for?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi all,

Noob here.

1) I was wondering if any of you know of any major shoe store chains that carry decent weightlifting shoes? I've called a few and haven't had any luck. I'm a tad nervous about ordering shoes online, since I wouldn't be able to try them on first. Am I stuck going online?

2) Main main focus will be squatting and deads. My goal is strength and size. Any recommendations of a brand or, if not a brand and type, a specific thing my shoe (whatever brand or type) must have, e.g., specific dimensions, structure, etc.?

I'm a noob, so I'd prefer to keep it under or not much over $100.00.

Finding a retail store that carries specialized shoes like that will be difficult, unless you live in a pretty big city. There is one in my area, but it is the MDUSA scratch and dent room, not really a retail store. I'd say your best bet is finding an online store with good customer service and a solid return policy. Each brand can fit a little differently. I'd personally recommend Rogue Fitness, or - Eastbay actually carries a couple different weightlifting shoes now, and currently offer free shipping. For less than $100 your options will be limited. I've never tried the addidas powerlifts, but I know someone who has them and likes them. I think they go for like $89.

Where do you live? You don't have to be too specific, but are you in The US? Canada? Which general region? Someone may know a local place that has them.

Im a fan of these Allstars with the strap on top
    allstars.jpg

think i paid $40 bucks at Champs
    Last edited by Mdemarco; 07-26-2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: add cost

maxbarbell.com has Wei Rui weightlifting shoes. I have had a pair of Wei Ruis for 7 months now and really, really like them. No problems with quality and price is excelletn - shipping is only 5 bucks. Be forerwarned, though: the shoes seem to run big.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    maxbarbell.com has Wei Rui weightlifting shoes. I have had a pair of Wei Ruis for 7 months now and really, really like them. No problems with quality and price is excelletn - shipping is only 5 bucks. Be forerwarned, though: the shoes seem to run big.
    I just got the Warriors from there and I like them. They have very simple instruction on how to measure your feet, just follow them and you'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post

Your only options for sub-$100 lifting shoes are going to be MaxBarbell as noted above, the Adidas PL Trainers which aren't well suited to really heavy lifting (see this link: http://wlshoes.com/) and the VS shoes.

rogue fitness sells them and the nike shoes are amazing

People at your gym will think you're a weirdo, but you could also wear dress shoes with a heal

starting strength coach development program
    amazon and a few other online retailers do free returns if you didn't like the item.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast