starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Hiatus (Shoulder injury)

Question Squat Hiatus (Shoulder injury)

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi.

I made a thread a while back pertaining to a shoulder injury I have (possibly) gotten from low bar squat, or maybe incorrect bench pressing leading to muscular imbalance.
    In any case I can't do low bar squats without getting severe pain in my anterior deltoid/upper bicep.

I thought I could fix the issue by correcting my bar placement and form but the injury seems to have degenerated so now the pain appears even on the warm up sets.

I have made an appointment with a doctor and I will hopefully get a diagnosis soon.

For now I need to find a replacement for the low bar squat, I am going to try high bar squatting but I fear that will be too much for my shoulders too, so I would really appreciate it if you could help me with finding some exercises that I can do instead of back squats. I realize that there is no alternative to a back squat when it comes to training those muscles but I hope there are is something I can do that will at least lessen the strength loss until I am fully healed and can get back to low bar squatting.

I was thinking of doing deadlift's instead of squats, but I am wondering if I will over-train myself if I do them every workout. If so should I have a low intensity day and maybe only add weight every other workout. Or add only 5 pounds per day?

Thanks in advance

Google "safety bar squat." Your gym likely won't have the equipment, but a buddy of mine squatted like this while his shoulder was injured.

I do almost all of my squatting with my Elite Fitness Systems Yoke Bar (SS Bar) Using it helps my regular squat and my deadlift.

Just do deadlifts, you will not overtrain.