starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bar bending question

Default bar bending question

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I'm sure this is on the site somewhere but I can't figure out the right combination of words to type. I'm working on a home gym and I keep hearing that I need to spend money on a bar. Ok great. Hypothetically if I get the B&R bar and some bumpers, am I okay to drop the bar from over my head if doing Olympic lifts? I read about the bar bending and dropping the bar will do this. Is that mainly dropping the bar on pins or will that include bumpers from overhead. Ideally I'd just sit the bar down but if I get in a jam, am I okay? I see people drop bars all the time but I don't know if they're screwing up. I've over-researched bars and now I'm paranoid. Thanks.

Chris

It is fine to drop a B&R bar w/ bumpers from overhead.

Dropping it on pins or on a bench/box is what will bend it. (and dropping it on pins from 6 inches away w/ 200 lbs on the bar is prob not going to bend a good bar either)

B&R bar is a good choice, but if you get one that's bent, you'll have to talk to Rogue and they'll send you out another one.

(your searching has not been so good if you haven't run into the recent discussions on bars)

Thanks for the input. No, I've read PLENTY on bars. I was just looking for a definitive answer regarding the drop issue. I probably missed that too though. Thanks again.

a lot of info for you here;

http://www.ivankobarbell.com/press/

Quote Originally Posted by veryhrm View Post
    (and dropping it on pins from 6 inches away w/ 200 lbs on the bar is prob not going to bend a good bar either)
    I broke a strap while doing rack pulls, and ended up dropping my B&R about 4 inches to the pins with 400 Lbs on it. It now has a very small but visible bend in it :-(

Thanks for the heads up. Now all I have to do is sell my Les Paul so my wife will let me buy gym equipment.

Fenders and gibsons dont depreciate. Hold onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Fenders and gibsons dont depreciate. Hold onto it.
    That's only if it's a Gibson and not an Epi or a knockoff. If it really is a Gibson, I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by droidicus View Post
    I broke a strap while doing rack pulls, and ended up dropping my B&R about 4 inches to the pins with 400 Lbs on it. It now has a very small but visible bend in it :-(
    Ok, what strap was that? Was it cotton or those seatbelt type nylon straps? Pictures? hehe. So we know what straps to avoid.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by blandrick View Post
    That's only if it's a Gibson and not an Epi or a knockoff. If it really is a Gibson, I agree.
    Even the Korea epiphones (which were the dirt cheap bottom end guitars about 10 years ago) are now sought after, as Epi has moved to china. Anything made of unobtanium is automatically full of mojo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast