starting strength gym

Thread: Squatting for Weightlifting Novice

Default Squatting for Weightlifting Novice

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I have recently found a weightlifting team to train with and am I am not adapted to the fatigue from the classic lifts yet. I have lowered my work sets for the squat to compensate. 2 days a week I am training at an awesome facility with the best equipment and the third day at a shitty "gym" with one crappy barbell that I does not rotate well at all. Tuesday I do 3 sets of 5 on the squat and Thursday I do 3 sets of 3 front squats.

On Saturday I don't know what to do. I could do 3 sets of 5, but because I don't do any classic lift work first I don't really feel like it translates over to Tuesday because of the fatigue from doing squats last. I don't do snatch clean and jerk on this day because the equipment is so terrible. I also am unsure if I could successfully make jumps from Tuesday to Thursday on the squat. I feel that in about a month I will have to switch to intermediate programming but for now what would you recommend?

What is your Olympic lifting schedule with the team?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    What is your Olympic lifting schedule with the team?
    Well I am still learning so on Tuesday and Thursday I do about 100 reps total between snatch and clean and jerk. On some days I focus more on finding a solid weight and get a lot of reps there and other days I push for a PR. After jerks, I do squats and then presses.

Would squatting on MWF work in your schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Would squatting on MWF work in your schedule?
    No, I cannot get to the gym then. When I walked out my first set of squats yesterday, I didn't think I would be able to complete them, but somehow I did. I think I am just going to do a texas method style set up and switch to 5 sets when 3 stops spurring progress.

starting strength coach development program
    Can you squat on Sunday/Tues/Thurs doing a Heavy/Light/Medium schedule? Sunday, heavy, the other two days light and medium