starting strength gym

Thread: Back Extensions/Chins as part of the novice program

Default Back Extensions/Chins as part of the novice program

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Just trying to clear up how many, when to weight them, etc.
    For BE, reading PP/SS3E and searching the boards here, I see references to doing 3x10 at BW, 3x20, and even using a 45lb plate. I'm moving into the "advanced novice" program and so far have done 3x10 at BW. Should I move them up to, say 3x15, and when I can do that, hold a plate and drop down to 3x10 again?
    For chins/pullups, I see reference to going to 3x15 and then adding enough weight to reduce reps to 5-7, but also to going to 3x10 and then adding weight. Does it matter? Should I just go with whatever works for me?

Cheers.

Back extensions aren't really meant to be progressed I don't think... they're more for active recovery. If you want a little more of a challenge, you could switch to a glute ham raise.

For chins, BWx15 seems to be the way to go, then add weight.

Ok, so I should just stick to 3x10 for Back Extensions?

I do 5x10 on the GHR. I just wouldn't add weight.

at 3x10 bw chins you could add weight.

Even if you do chins twice per week, have 1 day weighted, the other day bw. Kind of a volume day and intensity day if you will.

And I don't add weight to back extensions, if you want a similar exercise to add weight too the good morning is your best bet, but then YNDTP.

I use a weight (just a 45 lb plate) when I do back extensions, but I did them that way before I learned about SS so giving up the weight didn't make sense. I think it's meant as a bodyweight exercise in the program, though. SS mentions that "heavy weighted BEs can be rather hard on the knees", and they can also be a problem for the lower back for the same reason that sit-ups are (see the sit-up article).

I can't think of a reason not to weigh your chins if you can perform them with good form in the higher rep ranges.

Thanks all for your feedback.

starting strength coach development program
    When I got 3 sets of 10 chins I started weighting them, worked for me. I do 3xfailure unweighted and 3x 5-6 weighted each week, upping the weight when I get 3x6.