starting strength gym

Thread: Age Adjusted Conditioning Standards - Andy Baker

Default Age Adjusted Conditioning Standards - Andy Baker

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I know PT tests have been discussed on the site (Rip mentioned a weighted carry as a good example for the military). Any thoughts on what a good PT test for the general public might be? Perhaps a prowler push for time with a percent of body weight? Hi Andy,

Great video about training older adults. I think the fact that the program is designed to make people "more useful and harder to kill" resonates in a special way to people with people who see the downsides of being weak in their everyday lives.

One question: I'm a big fan of the age adjusted strength standards. I think they are motivating, informative, and can offer a nice window into showing when switching to a maintenance based strength template might be a better use of training time.

With that said, have you ever considered an age adjusted "conditioning" standard? Once a client's strength goals are met (or maybe they've achieved the intermediate phase on all of their lifts), aren't there areas (such as conditioning) that could improve the life of the client more if given the same amount of invested training time? If a set of rough bench marks could be developed for conditioning, I think that would be a really great addition to the model.

Appreciate hearing your thoughts on the topic.

Thanks!
    J

I have not given it much thought, but the most practical test would be something like a carry, a drag, or a push. I wouldn't give two shits about the test if there was not a strength component to it.