starting strength gym

Thread: Two clean-pulls then a power clean

Default Two clean-pulls then a power clean

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Trying to clean up my PC. I tend to pause at the second pull, then tend to bend my arms early. I've seen the use of clean-pulls advocated here, particularly the "2 clean-pulls, then a power clean on the third rep drill." Here it is:

http://youtu.be/cf6CwjarnPQ

That particular clean felt like the best one of the entire work-out today. On slo-mo using my Ubersense app, I am mostly fully extended before my arms start to bend, but it seems I could wait a tad longer. Also, I am in a knees-bent, laid-back kind of posture when I receive the bar. Is that a problem?

What else? Let me have it, and thanks for looking.

Looks like you posted a squat vid instead of your PC vid.

Ah, shit. So how did the squats look?

Here's the pulls and PC:

http://youtu.be/RJ18rP4hhbc

Your arms do bend a hair early; I don't have another clean of yours to compare it to but based on what I usually see when someone self describes an arm-pulling problem, this is probably a solid improvement. Can't say for sure without some reps to compare it to.

Knees bent is not only OK but expected when receiving the bar in the rack - that's part of what a power clean is. However, be more aggressive; don't wait for the bar to slam into you. Think about slamming your shoulders into the bar to catch it, and get your elbows around faster.