starting strength gym

Thread: GM'ing Squats Badly, How to Proceed?

Default GM'ing Squats Badly, How to Proceed?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My wife started SS a couple weeks ago and is doing relatively well on all the lifts except the squat.

Yes, she's read the book. Yes, she's watched the video.

Other than keep the chest up I don't know what to tell her. I'm not an experienced lifter myself. She's small, but the all the other lifts are proportional according to the strength standard in PPST. Her bench is about to catch her squat.

Here's a set from yesterday @ 48lbs.
    https://vimeo.com/92657163

Any suggestions welcome.
    Last edited by Anthony King; 04-23-2014 at 01:31 PM.

She should try thinking about lifting with the chest and shoving the knees out hard as she starts to come up. Sometimes, adding weight helps this kind of situation. Her bar path is off, but it may just be that the weight is too light. What is she deadlifting? Has she gone up in weight on the squat?

She started squatting with 35lbs. She is deadlifting 80lbs. She is on her second week of SS. She has been reluctant to add more than a few pounds to the squat each session since she's GM'ing the weight at the end.

She could also point her toes out and look down.

It's only her second week. Don't stress too much about it. Knees out, chest up. In her situation, have her think about lifting with the chest and knees out hard on the way up. Add a little bit of weight and let us know how the next session goes. Buy her some lifting shoes and tell her how awesome she is because she's lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Sometimes, adding weight helps this kind of situation. Her bar path is off, but it may just be that the weight is too light.
    I read the question and watched the video before I read your reply, and had the same thought. That weight looks easy/light for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    It's only her second week. Don't stress too much about it. Knees out, chest up. In her situation, have her think about lifting with the chest and knees out hard on the way up. Add a little bit of weight and let us know how the next session goes. Buy her some lifting shoes and tell her how awesome she is because she's lifting.
    10-4. She's hooked--says she can already easily carry 50lb bags of livestock feed (we raise sheep, chicken, and pigs) that she could barely pick up three weeks ago.

starting strength coach development program
    she could barely pick up three weeks ago.
    Good stuff.