starting strength gym

Thread: "Olympic" deadlift

Default "Olympic" deadlift

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Do you guys and gals see any value in these:

http://www.t-nation.com/training/olympic-deadlift

It's basically the power clean without the clean. I messed with them briefly. Seems like they'd be okay as assistance for the power cleans.

Thank you,

Tom

Looks bad ass, especially the part where you drop the bar after your last set.

The cool thing about a power clean is that you either use enough force to be able to rack the bar, or you don't rack the bar. This thing removes that pesky racking deal, so how do you know if you "completed" it? It's kinda like a cool-looking barbell shrug, but you can't use as much weight as you can with a shrug. How did you like them when you used them? What did you use them for?

Stop reading Tnation unless Rip posts something

I have recently begun using these in my training, after power cleaning up to a heavy weight. I see a place for them - but not for a Novice, and probably not for most newly minted Intermediates, either.

I also call them "Clean Pulls," because "Olympic Deadlifts" is a stupid name, but to differentiate them from "Clean High Pulls" in which the arms bend and the bar is pulled higher.

(Note: Their appearance in a T-Nation article and their appearance in my training, at about the same time, is purely coincidental)

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    Looks bad ass, especially the part where you drop the bar after your last set.

The cool thing about a power clean is that you either use enough force to be able to rack the bar, or you don't rack the bar. This thing removes that pesky racking deal, so how do you know if you "completed" it? It's kinda like a cool-looking barbell shrug, but you can't use as much weight as you can with a shrug. How did you like them when you used them? What did you use them for?
    I only messed with them after a disappointing PC effort. I had no idea if I was doing them correctly. My thought was that I'd be able to clean pull (as Wolf calls them) more than I can actually power clean, and then, after some progress on clean pulls, power clean more. My wimpy PC is finally up to big-boy 45lb plates (135), but I've been so gassed lately after my 3x5 squat efforts that I've been pretty weak on the PC. So I did a few clean pull reps at 185.

Yes, yes, I know--eat more, rest more, and get my DL up to get my PC up. I finally hit 3 big-boy plates on the DL a couple of weeks ago.

starting strength coach development program
    I love doing these as both an assistance to the clean and a warmup to the deadlift. Programming-wise, I usually cover the whole spectrum in the same session: I powerclean / clean my way up to a top 2x3, then go to clean pulls up to a top 2x5 (Since it's not as heavy as a DL, I like to lower the weight slowly to get some eccentric work in). I then close it out with 1x5 deadlift. You can do the same progression from the snatch grip as well. Both fun.