starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check

Default Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi,

Here is my squat for 3 reps close to my pr. How does it look aside from not keeping my head down? Knees and hips breaking together? Is my hip drive ok?

http://youtu.be/goFo3qVLRd8

Thanks

Yeah, those look good. As you mentioned, keep your chin down.

Thanks. That's great to know it has improved. I had a lot of work to do when I posted my squat for form check before.

It is my deadlift that needs work on now. Once I get to a higher weight, I have trouble setting my back and my hips shoot up first. I am experimenting with the sumo deadlift, but I still can't set my back great using heavier weights.

The answer to most people's deadlifting issues lies not with a sumo pull, but with concentrated work on deadlifting. Do the setup linked at the top of the page. Pay special attention to leaving the bar in place on the ground and dragging the bar up the legs.

Ok, I will post a video once I redo my last working set of conventional. Would it be ok to do the last weight I stopped at for conventional? I have been doing sumo for a month and I worked up to 300 lbs. My last working set using conventional was 320 lbs.

Let's see 290 to 300 for conventional.

Thanks, I'll do that. The problem I'm having is I am thinking about joining a meet at the end of May and my deadlift is really behind where it was in my first meet. I pulled 375 then. I have about two more weeks to try to bring my deadlift number up. My bench and squat are good since they are both nearing my pr.

My question is, do you think I should go through with the meet since I think I have a chance to set prs on the bench and squat or should I just continue my regular training since my deadlift is lagging?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I know I'm really going away from the topic of the thread.

Do the meet and pull however you can make it work.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the advice. I'll do it for the experience since it will only be my second meet.