starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Didn't know where else to post this...

Default Didn't know where else to post this...

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Very nice write up on Starting Strength in today's NY Times. Not sure that I am allowed to post the link here, but you can go to their home page and find the article titled "Fitness Crazed."

Sunil

I read the comments.

This gem:

Power cleans and Dead lifts? You'll be dead all right. Say sayonara to your lower back!
    was a NY Times recommended comment. Ridiculous.

level of ignorance about fitness has always amazed me. even when i was just a kid i never understood why for example people thought that doing crunches will give you a thinner waist and other idiocy.

incidentally, the only times i ever had back problems is when i was NOT training it ...

Quote Originally Posted by G1981C View Post
    level of ignorance about fitness has always amazed me. even when i was just a kid i never understood why for example people thought that doing crunches will give you a thinner waist and other idiocy.

incidentally, the only times i ever had back problems is when i was NOT training it ...
    Back in 1994 I had disc problems in my neck. Was told to never lift anything heavy again. Now and then, when my neck feels achy or tight, the best cure is a heavy set of deadlifts.

BTW, Mark as a thread about the NY Times article up in his forum.

Years ago I did my first solo backpacking trip through Lassen National Park on the Pacific Crest Trail. On my last day I couldn't figure out which dirt road led to Old Station so I just kept going until after 16 miles I ended up at a nice campground. I had never hiked that far in one day. My heel/ankle was killing me and doing this weird clicking thing. I saw a doctor and he told me to put ice on it every day and rest and not do any hiking for at least 6 weeks. I rested for 2 days and realized that being immobile was not the answer. I threw out the frozen peas and carrots got right back into walking again and the pain was gone in a few days. After that, whatever doctors tell me to do I do the opposite. It's worked very well.

My two favorite comments were the one where the guy talks about weights blowing the muscle out and yoga sucking them into the bone. The other was the guy that said someone who is deadlifting 285lb (or whatever the number was) has to be a SHW.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    My two favorite comments were the one where the guy talks about weights blowing the muscle out and yoga sucking them into the bone. The other was the guy that said someone who is deadlifting 285lb (or whatever the number was) has to be a SHW.
    The comments are painful to read, but at the same time kind of enlightening. It seems when advocating barbell training to people, we often make a critical error in that we assume they're already happily going to the gym or running hills and Prowling, and just need a program, or, at worst, instruction in the barbell lifts, when their issues might go well beyond that. Judging from the I'm-so-wise smugness with which these commentators say things like, "Everything in moderation!" "The outdoors is my gym!" "Eat less!" "Just do what you like!" and "YOGA YOGA YOGAFIRE! YOGAFLAME*!!" I can't help but conclude that the vast majority of Americans are happily patting themselves on the back every time they simply stand up or refrain from that 12oz soda.....hence Planet Fitness and yoga, that thing where you sit perfectly still for 2 hours in $200 outfits that you don't dare leave sweat in.

I am happy about the growth of barbell training, and America might be come a nation of linebackers yet, but the path is much longer and bumpier than we might be able to perceive from our fishbowl of gym rats. There might be friction occasionally between various camps (CF vs Olympic vs PL vs strongman, 5x5 vs 3x5 vs 531, Zone vs. paleo vs. Feigenbaum vs. GOMAD, etc etc etc) but really we're all in this together.

*Street Fighter 2 was how I spent my entire 1991.

Same for me with the Street Fighter back in the day. But if I could stretch my limbs, blow fire, and eventually teleport, I might actually try some yoga out. :-)

this is a good one.

Risingtidefitness.com New York City 11 hours ago
    Mr. Duane, Congratulations on finding a fitness routine that works for you. However, what works for you will not necessarily work for the rest of the population. EXERCISE SCIENCE is a growing field and apparently there is no exercise program applicable to everyone. There is several factors that should be taking into consideration when designing an exercise program( past injuries,fitness level, body type, medical conditions, psychology, age, sex and other things). It is clear Mr. Duane is not fit to write about this specific topic.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 16bit View Post
    this is a good one.

Risingtidefitness.com New York City 11 hours ago
    Mr. Duane, Congratulations on finding a fitness routine that works for you. However, what works for you will not necessarily work for the rest of the population. EXERCISE SCIENCE is a growing field and apparently there is no exercise program applicable to everyone. There is several factors that should be taking into consideration when designing an exercise program( past injuries,fitness level, body type, medical conditions, psychology, age, sex and other things). It is clear Mr. Duane is not fit to write about this specific topic.
    I looked at the risingtidefitness website. Seems like they are into selling high priced BS; something as simple as SS would undercut that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast