starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition for geezers

Question Nutrition for geezers

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I posted this in the "elderly" section and it was suggested that I post it here.

I'm 66 and have never taken supplements and had not planned to. I am 5'10 1/2" tall and weigh 208 lbs. I started strength training at the end of February 2013. My Doctor asked if I was on a supplements and he advised that beyond vitamins I should not take any because they can be a danger to old people's kidneys. I've read some articles that indicate that this may not be the case.

Are some or most supplements dangerous for the kidneys of older people? If some are not what do you recommend?

Are you currently dealing with any kidney issues or medications that stress the kidney? I saw that you're a diabetic as well. Have you had your renal function tested recently?

Nothing that I know of. No renal function tests as far as I know, ever. Good questions.

Okay. Well I think a good whey protein isolate would get you lots of mileage, as you're more amino acid resistant at your age yet you need some high quality protein to recover from training and build some muscle. I'd also start on creatine monohydrate at 5g/day. Neither of these are injurious to kidneys at all. There are some other supplements that you can get into later on down the road, but that's where I'd start.