starting strength gym

Thread: Fat guy nutrition

Default Fat guy nutrition

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I'm a 38 y.o. Male, 6'3" 432 lbs, and not that much muscle. I'm following SS, albeit only 2 workouts per week.

What should my diet look like?

Depends on the level of buy in you have on the nutritional front. So, what are we working with here and what do you want to do in the next 6 months?

I'm not sure what you mean by "buy-in".

I'm looking for more info than "Eat Clean" or "Try Paleo" which is basically what I've seen so far.

Honestly, I think the question I need answered is this:

I keep seeing the figure (0.5 - 0.8 grams per pound).

This gives me 215 - 344 grams of protein. How the hell am I supposed to eat that much protein and still have a caloric deficit.

Should this be using lean body mass, not total weight?

Quote Originally Posted by GrimmThing View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean by "buy-in".
    I think he means:
    How pissed are you? How much do you want it? Do you have the resolve to comply long term?

"buy in" refers to the level of commitment you have or put more clearly, the level of compliance you're likely to have whilst doing any sort of nutritional protocol.

For instance, are you at the point in your life where you're so committed to this stuff that you're ready for specific macros? Or alternatively, are you needing a more relaxed approach?

Some people use LBM in calculating their protein totals, which I think is a smart option for someone of your size. 350g of protein is only 1400kCal, which would put you in a very large caloric deficit. I think what you're referencing is that if you eat this much protein from the "less-lean" animal sources then your fat intake will also be high, thus increasing your caloric intake perhaps (although doubtful) above your maintenance level. The short answer to this is not all your protein intake will be from sources that have significant levels of fat. Some of your protein sources certainly will, but you'll also be relying on protein powder, chicken, tuna, etc.

Basically what I'd have you do is get 300g of protein per day, a serving of starchy carbs pre and post workout, and just green vegetables at other times of the day to total 40g of fiber per day. We can get much more specific later on, but I think if you do these three things a lot of the minutiae will fall into place without being overly neurotic.