starting strength gym

Thread: Lower left back pain?

Default Lower left back pain?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I know back pain has been asked a million times but im just being on the safe side.

I was squatting 89kg (light i know) and after the set i could barely walk. I might have had too much back rounding at the bottem. Hurt to bend over and to sit or stand. I quit immediately and iced it. There was no pain radiating down my leg. It was localized to the bottom left of my back with the spinal erector been the closest part to my spine in my pain.

The next day (yesterday) the pain was significantly better, i could still feel it sometimes but it was manageable. By the time i was going to bed it was all but gone.

Today the pain was completly gone. Easily could bend over and do everything. I was even carrying 40kg bale wrap with no pain.

Then half an hour ago i was trying to fix my form. I was doing the hip drive thing were you put your elbows on you knees and push out and drive your hips up. I got the pain again. It was only my bodyweight i was squatting and it hurt it, yet carrying heavy stuff and washing the tractor felt fine?

What should i do? How long should i take off? I dont want to take too long off because i want to get as strong as possible before i have to start losing weight to meet a requirement.

bump

note: not a doctor or a coach and this isn't advice to do or not do anything.

Hard to say... even minor back injuries can cause protective cramping in the low back muscles. To me it just feels like sharp pain, not like a muscle cramp in a calf or hamstring. It does seem strange that w/ all that carrying and reaching you describe it didn't set it off but then the squats did, but i guess it could be some very specific thing that's irritated at the bottom of the ROM. How long did the pain last the 2nd time ? If it's faded i'd just test it out with good full ROM warm-ups and then higher than normal reps and take a few days to work back up to the weight.

Also how long have you been squatting and how sure are you of your form ? post some vids in the technique forum if you have concerns.