starting strength gym

Thread: More calories but no weight gain

Default More calories but no weight gain

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I started SS ~8 weeks ago and I was eating ~4K calories (which was 1K above my normal pre-ss)
    Week 6 I was about 45 lbs heavier so I upped my intake to 4500 cal.
    At week 7 I was 48 lbs (total) up so I upped my intake to 5000 cal.
    now at 8 weeks I am still 48 lbs up (total) which I dont get (500 more cal / day but no gain)
    I have just upped my intake to 5500 cal but dont understand why jumping to 5000 did nothing.

I track my intake pretty accuratlly using my phone app .

Does it make sense that I need to add this many calories after gaining almost 50lbs? Im a bit fatter but not hugely fatter.

Yesterday I ate:
    138g fat, 255 g protein, 768g carbs = 5400 cal (first day trying to get to 5500 ... it was hard.)

Weight gain and loss usually does not reflect a linear change in calories, i.e. I added cals and my weight went up the predicted amount or the opposite. Depending how accurate your measurements are and how often you actually hit the numbers, you might need to add more carbs and fat (not protein) on a weekly basis.

So the issue is my nutrient ratios?
    right now I am around 23% Fat, 19% Protien, and 57% carbs (255 g protien for a 220 lb person).

where do the extra calories go?? are they just passing through me? I thought if my ratios were off I would end up adding fat and not muscle.

Your metabolic rate is dynamic. If the calories were passing through you, you'd be having diarrhea frequently. I don't think your macro ratios are off at all, I just think you need more of them period.

ou'd be having diarrhea frequently
    Gross
    Your metabolic rate is dynamic
    Intruiguing so I started eating more and my body just started burning it up. Fair, my innards seem to be quite complex.
    Other post: I understand 1 lb of muscle burns between 7-50 calories (depending on who you ask/body conditions) which means from my original 4K Cal diet I would need an additional 280-2000 Cal per day just for the muscle and ignoring the more complex sides of Metabolic Rate.

I'm happy I'm not a deviant

thank you Jordan

starting strength coach development program
    You gained 45 lbs. in six weeks?? Well done sir. How tall are you?

Also it's great to see an 'I stopped gaining weight, so I started eating more food' post rather than the typical 'I'm not gaining weight. I eat 2500 calories. What do I dooooooo???'