Default Questions regarding carb backloading

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Male
    BF hangs around 6-8%
    220 lbs

Hi Jordan,
    I've been playing around with carb backloading and decided to start taking it more serious a few months back. I've read the book and after some deep thought I'm not sure it's right for my workout schedule/lifestyle. I lift in the morning, go to work, then train brazilian jiu-jitsu/submission wrestling in the evening. According to Keifer, however, my grappling is not sufficient for the tGLUT response. Depending on the situation I may want to lose or gain weight for tournament. However, performance is the main issue. We all want to be jacked, strong, athletic, and ripped but if that were easy everyone would be. Because of the nature of this sport I need all my body mass to be useful though, 3% BF would probably be just as bad as 50% BF. Is carb backloading truly beneficial to a person like myself who does heavy squats, deadlifts, press, bench, snatch, and clean & jerk in the morning who also trains for grappling in the evening?

Also, not everyone I train with at jiu-jitsu is concerned about being a world champion or making it to ADCC. Most people are there just to have fun so not all of my grappling training is intense.

According to Keifer, however, my grappling is not sufficient for the tGLUT response.
    Kiefer is wrong, in my opinion. An intense grappling/wrestling session will absolutely see an increased expression of Glut 4 transporters in the membrane of skeletal muscles.

We all want to be jacked, strong, athletic, and ripped but if that were easy everyone would be
    How true.

Is carb backloading truly beneficial to a person like myself who does heavy squats, deadlifts, press, bench, snatch, and clean & jerk in the morning who also trains for grappling in the evening?
    Not at all. Put carbs pre and post workout for both sessions. Whether you backload your carbs or not isn't going to determine your body fat level, the total number of carbs, cals, macros will.

I saw a list of your recommended books and I saw a couple books on paleo, could you post that list again please or direct me to the post? That being said, are you a fan of paleo style nutrition for athletes?

I can't seem to find it, but it's probably on the first page or so of this subforum. I'm not a huge supporter or fan of Paleo nutrition for athletes unless their macros are correct on it. The biggest problem I see if one were to be "truly Paleo", according to the zealots (not the smart people who developed this nutrition strategy), is the general disdain for proven sports nutrition supplements like protein and carb supplements, BCAAs, etc.

I know I'm a bit late, but with respect to the original question, Kiefer does give some glycogen-dependent athletes(e.g., crossfitters, strongmen) carbs early in the day and before/during workouts. There's a sample diet he released around Christmas as to how he does it floating around on his site, if you're interested, OP.

Quote Originally Posted by tzanghi View Post
    I know I'm a bit late, but with respect to the original question, Kiefer does give some glycogen-dependent athletes(e.g., crossfitters, strongmen) carbs early in the day and before/during workouts. There's a sample diet he released around Christmas as to how he does it floating around on his site, if you're interested, OP.
    I hate to be this negative, but fuck, that was the biggest piece of shit he's ever put out. Ever. Mind-numbingly complicated and completely worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I hate to be this negative, but fuck, that was the biggest piece of shit he's ever put out. Ever. Mind-numbingly complicated and completely worthless.
    No sweat off my back lol I didn't write it. Thinking about it now, I do remember it being confusing as to why he was doing certain things and not others. I was just throwin' it out there for OP.

Is it just me or does there seem to be a real lack of scientific research going on about diet? There's obviously new research going on all the time involving interest groups trying to get ride of things like dairy and red meat, but that shouldn't count. I'm talking about real research with controlled conditions over an amount of time that can produce real data. Not only that, but it seems like the people who try to interpret research results have no research training themselves.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Dopp View Post
    Is it just me or does there seem to be a real lack of scientific research going on about diet? There's obviously new research going on all the time involving interest groups trying to get ride of things like dairy and red meat, but that shouldn't count. I'm talking about real research with controlled conditions over an amount of time that can produce real data. Not only that, but it seems like the people who try to interpret research results have no research training themselves.
    Totally. Big problem, in my opinion, is that we can't lock people up and make them eat what we want them to in order to have a truly controllable experiment. So, what one has to do after having a really thorough understanding of all the physiology at play, is dig into research systematically and see what jives. You don't have to be a "researcher" to do this, but you do have to understand the methodology, statistical meaning, data significance, and how a small variable is affected or affects the whole system. It's a brutal process and I think a lot of people, unfortunately, over interpret data if it fits their bias (or can potentially make them money). Other people are just full of shit.