starting strength gym

Thread: Pulled each Lat from saving a slipping barbell

Default Pulled each Lat from saving a slipping barbell

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Today i went to squat and on my first set, i must have misplaced the barbell on my delts because the bar started to slide off my left delt. To prevent this i squeezed my lats forward on the third rep when i felt it slipping. This caused a severe pull in both my Lats. My dad gave me a "oxycodone acetaminophen" and a "cyclobenzaprine" i then proceeded to toss a bag of ice into a garbage bag and wrapped it to my lats. My question is if there is a protocol into what i should do? I figured depending on how i feel tomorrow i might skip this weeks workout sessions to let it heal. If i feel good i figured band pull aparts might help and some soft tissue work with my foam roller. Has this happened to anyone before?

Heh. Hope you feel better, but i doubt it's a "severe pull" or you'd be in the hospital. Is your dad a doctor? A vet ? Can you hook me up? j/k i stick to OTC stuff. I think i took like 2 vicodin after my knee surgery a few years back and finally threw out the other 20 or so.

This sounds like an ideal sort of thing for good ole Starr Rehab (after you see how it feels tomorrow and possibly give it a day or two off)... probably done with something like lat pull-downs or maybe pull-overs of some sort. I don't think you'll be able to do any of the SS movements while your lats are shot.

I'd take it easy on the foam roller as you want the muscle to heal. Mobilizing it while it does so as Starr does should help keep them from scarring up and healing weird. Crushing them w/ a foam roller might be counter-productive.

(note: i'm not a doctor, coach or vet and this isn't advice to do anything. )

If you happen to try something new like pull overs, make sure to use very tiny weights. Even passive with a broom stick would not be a terrible idea. Pullovers are pretty intense on the triceps and lats even without injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    If you happen to try something new like pull overs, make sure to use very tiny weights. Even passive with a broom stick would not be a terrible idea. Pullovers are pretty intense on the triceps and lats even without injury.
    Yep. Starr protocol for something like squats starts with the bar. No need to be a hero, heroing got you into this.

Yea i understand all this, i'm lucky i did all those things the first day then i spent the next day just relaxing in the pool which took some weight off my lats and really removed any remaining soreness. i'm just going to do some light work like you guys mentioned then try again this monday to work out and see how it goes.