starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition advice for my smaller height

Default Nutrition advice for my smaller height

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hi Jordan,

I am a new poster to these forums, so sorry if this is repetitive in some way. I did starting strength for about 4 months exactly a year ago, but never really got past a 195 squat mainly due to my inadequate diet. I have since realized my mistakes and am restarting my progression on the program recently. I am currently 5'5" and weigh 120 pounds. I was just wondering at what bodyweight you think I should reach for my height at the end of linear progression. As of right now, I am tracking my calories at 2400 a day with macros similar to your recommendations.

-Thanks

185 or so.

OP, I had the same starting height/weight. After 9 months of LP I weighed 180 and was squatting 345x5x3. After another 9 months of Texas Method I weighed 175 (due to a somewhat cleaner diet) and squatted 405x2. Had Jordan's part of the forum been around back then, 185 would have been a good target.

The guy who got me into lifting started at 5'6 120lbs. Fastforward a couple of years and he is right under 180lbs. He is a monster. He get more compliments than I do and im 5'6 205 on a good day.

Thank you all for your responses. I realize I didn't list my age in my first post, which is 20 years old.

A quick secondary question I had was if I should continue the same weight gain as normal if I am working to fix my form on my squat while progressing. Over the last week and a half, I noticed that my left knee only is caving in noticeably while I squat. I am trying to do some resistance band adductor work to try to fix this, but might just stop my squat progression to try to fix this issue. Should I continue to progress on my other lifts and eat normally during this time?

starting strength coach development program
    I've been squatting for years and am still trying to fix it. I wouldn't stop the progression to fix your squat with stuff that's not, you know, squatting. Just take the weight down to a point where you can do it perfectly, see a good coach-i.e. one that won't make you do the silly NASM FMS or do remedial band work because they read it in Supple Leopard, and start there. Continue to progress all lifts, eat, and try to stay off the internet if you can help it.