starting strength gym

Thread: Tweaking the Deadlift [Form Check]

Default Tweaking the Deadlift [Form Check]

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I did the 2 deadlifts below different from each other -- albeit, very minor difference. I believe the difference is more obvious in the first rep of each. Version A (left) had more hamstring involvement from what I recall, while Version B (right) had a more "balanced" feel and scraped my shins more.

Care to give feedback? Especially on which one is more correct? Thanks.

FYI, 1st video is Version A. Version B is 2nd Video.

Your second video looks a little bit better. You can produce a good start position consistently by following Tom's advice in the "Pulls form the Floor" sticky in this forum. I think if you follow our setup step by step, you'll be able to get tighter and your hamstrings, quads, back, etc will all do what they're supposed to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    I think if you follow our setup step by step, you'll be able to get tighter and your hamstrings, quads, back, etc will all do what they're supposed to do.

Thanks, Nick. Just re-read it. Care to point out what you immediately noticed I'm missing in the 2nd video based from Tom's article? Thanks.

You're trying to set your back before you engage the bar. Our setup has you gripping the bar, then setting your back. With the shins/feet in the correct position, this will produce a consistent start position every time. Lifting your chest from here produces tightness all the way down the back and allows you to set everything consistently as well. As an added bonus, you won't have to check your position in the mirror, but will be able to feel the right start position.

Honestly that setup has been gold.
    I've safely gotten people lifting heavier weights than they can imagine in 5 minutes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tandy View Post
    Honestly that setup has been gold.
    I've safely gotten people lifting heavier weights than they can imagine in 5 minutes with it.
    Are you referring to my set-up?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Delgadillo View Post
    You're trying to set your back before you engage the bar. Our setup has you gripping the bar, then setting your back. With the shins/feet in the correct position, this will produce a consistent start position every time. Lifting your chest from here produces tightness all the way down the back and allows you to set everything consistently as well. As an added bonus, you won't have to check your position in the mirror, but will be able to feel the right start position.
    Hey Nick, What do you think of this updated deadlift video below?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQBLXSLkYGA

Quote Originally Posted by ayjay23 View Post
    Are you referring to my set-up?
    No, rather the current deadlift setup as used by the coaches and detailed in that sticky.

starting strength coach development program
    That looks better. I still like our set up better.