starting strength gym

Thread: squat check?

Default squat check?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hey everyone. I am looking to get some help with my squat. I have always squated ATG but most people on SS don't want that or like that so I am trying to go just below parallel. I know the videos aren't the best but maybe you can point a few things out so I can fix it?

YouTube

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by wicat3 View Post
    Hey everyone. I am looking to get some help with my squat. I have always squated ATG but most people on SS don't want that or like that so I am trying to go just below parallel. I know the videos aren't the best but maybe you can point a few things out so I can fix it?

YouTube

YouTube
    Not a coach, or experienced, so take with a grain of salt, await further advice, et cetera ...

These look to be too high to me, needing an extra inch or two of depth. The things that jump out to me the most are a) your back angle is far too vertical, you want to have back angle which is more like 45 degree (but keeping it flat). This is also causing your knees to come to far forward, and to keep sliding forward near the bottom. b) Your heels are raising, so the weight is moving from the midfoot. This is probably related to the prev. point. c) I can't be sure from this angle, but you seem to have the bar too far down your back.

Try to film these from waist height and rear 45 degree angle next time. That makes it easier to see important things like depth.

Alex is right. Focus on driving your butt back instead of down, and lean a little farther forward than what's comfortable. It takes getting used to but it's well worth it.

So I tried to get the depth down but after watching these it seems like I don't make it low enough. The last one should be my last set where I decided to squat as I previously was which is ATG. It was a bit of a struggle with the weight at time but its fairly light than some of the numbers I have done in the past. I tried to put the bar a little higher on my back and focus on keeping the bar over the mid foot and keeping that 45 degree angle.

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

I applaud you for being able to do a low back squat but there are two problems.

1. You don't squat nearly deep enough. You range from one inch too shallow to 4 or 4 inches.
    2. The weight you are squating is rather light for you. You are dive bombing your squats. I.e. you go down way too fast. The goal is slow down and with a very tight body, then bounce back up. You are way too fast on the downward motion.

Putting more weight on the bar and wearing a belt should help but you still must concentrate.

Thanks. I am investing in a belt soon. I know the depth is off but I’m working on it. I am trying to break the ATG habit when squatting.

starting strength coach development program
    Think of remaining tight throughout the squat. If you do you won't be able to dive bomb. The belt will help.