starting strength gym

Thread: Press in the book

Default Press in the book

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hi everyone,

Maybe you can help me understand something in the book. On page 86-87, in the press chapter, it is written "This squeezing from ribcage down to knees creates a band of tension that we will use to create a rebound.". Is the rebound described in that sentence is a literal rebound where the bar goes down first before coming back up or is it just a rebound in the sense that the energy from the squeezing is going to propel the bar upwards?

Also, lower on page 87, "This motion will create a bounce off of the front of the tension that will cause the shoulders to move down and up a little during the motion.". This sentence also kind of describes a rebound where the bar goes down first, but I could be misreading these sentences.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vino View Post
    Hi everyone,

Maybe you can help me understand something in the book. On page 86-87, in the press chapter, it is written "This squeezing from ribcage down to knees creates a band of tension that we will use to create a rebound.". Is the rebound described in that sentence is a literal rebound where the bar goes down first before coming back up or is it just a rebound in the sense that the energy from the squeezing is going to propel the bar upwards?

Also, lower on page 87, "This motion will create a bounce off of the front of the tension that will cause the shoulders to move down and up a little during the motion.". This sentence also kind of describes a rebound where the bar goes down first, but I could be misreading these sentences.

Thanks in advance
    Hi, Tony. The forward reach with the hips against the isometrically contracted anterior musculature, and the resulting rebound will result in a little downward and upward movement of the shoulders, and therefore the barbell. It sounds like you're just second guessing your own correct reading of that section of the book, but let me know if you're still unclear.

Thanks a lot Adam!

In fact, it was the correction of other people during my press that made me doubt and look back in the book. The thing is, since I have longer forearms, the bar is hovering over my shoulders, which is accentuating the level of drop in the bar when my shoulders dip.

Do you have any tips about that?

Thanks in advance.

Hey Tony
    The bar will "hover" for most everyone when using the grip-width we recommend.
    Triceps should be against the lats, with the forearms perpendicular to the ground.