starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift & Squat form check

Default Deadlift & Squat form check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    First-time poster, long-time lurker. Re-started the program a couple weeks ago with my brother after a long break. Any and all feedback is welcomed.

Stats

Height: 6'4"
    Weight: 230lbs

Deadlift: 275lbs
    Squat: 185lbs

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/buG8bWs6-bc" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VHujZY-aRdw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hello hello!

Squat: Your form is looking really good! Your main form error is back rounding. Before unracking the bar, retract your shoulder blades and puff your chest up. This will help set your back in rigid extension. You’ll probably have to remind yourself between reps to puff up your chest again, and pin your elbows down and in too. When you’re ready to squat, keep your spine frozen like this and hinge at your hips. Don’t let your chest cave at the bottom and don’t let your elbows pop up during the ascent. Stare at the ground a few feet out instead of straight down as well. Bring in your stance an inch too.

Deadlift: Similar issue here. Your back isn’t fully set when you begin the lift. Tilt your butt up toward the ceiling during the setup and let your belly drop down. Doing Supermans before deadlifts would be helpful for you too. When you review your videos (or your brother can check for this), your back should be flat from the base of your neck to the tops of your pants.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Brooke! I'm happy to hear my squat form isn't garbage.

This is extremely helpful and I will keep all of those cues in mind.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!