starting strength gym

Thread: 45 degree back angle with equal torso to leg length?

Default 45 degree back angle with equal torso to leg length?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I know that a longer torso shorter legs means a more upright position and short torso long legs means more horizontal. So I was wondering if your torso and legs are pretty much the same length would your low bar back angle be 45 degrees? I'm curious since I think my legs and torso are about the same and that I might be leaning over slightly too far.

Don't sweat the exact measurements. Post a video of your squat, and we will take it from there.

Squat/deadlift form check #2

That was my last form check I posted. Going to upload another one soon.

The main issue I see is that you're abandoning the hip drive and raising your chest too early on the way up. Look at Figure 2-14 on pg. 21 of the squat chapter; visualize that, and don't stop driving the hips up until you're standing straight up.

Oh yeah the figure with rip on the ladder with the rope. I've always had a hard time with that Q always thought I would be useing more back then legs if I did. When in fact you put the load to your back when you raise up with your chest. I'll put emphasis on this next session.

Quote Originally Posted by vover View Post
    Oh yeah the figure with rip on the ladder with the rope. I've always had a hard time with that Q always thought I would be useing more back then legs if I did.
    How do the muscles of your back contribute directly to upward bar movement in the squat? The torso is a force transmitter. The muscles of the back keep the torso rigid and help more of the force produced by the hips and knees get translated to moving the bar. We are still training the back, but we're doing so by using it isometrically.

Quote Originally Posted by vover View Post
    Oh yeah the figure with rip on the ladder with the rope. I've always had a hard time with that Q always thought I would be useing more back then legs if I did. When in fact you put the load to your back when you raise up with your chest. I'll put emphasis on this next session.
    I love Rip’s description of the squat: a back exercise that takes the legs along for the ride.

We think of the squat as a leg exercise, but really it’s a “core” exercise, in the sense that it trains the hip musculature and the abs, obliques, and erectors of the back. All the muscles from which all other strength is drawn. This is why it is the King.

That makes alot of sense

starting strength coach development program
    It truly is king and why I'm having such a hard time mastering it as well.