starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much should I deadlift if I missed/did not attempt reps in the previous workout?

Default How much should I deadlift if I missed/did not attempt reps in the previous workout?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Last week I was planning to do 415x5, but after 1 rep, I felt I did not have it in me. Just felt tired or "off" that day. This was after taking a week off. The previous DL workout (last one before the week break) was 405x5.

After lifting 415x1, I de-loaded and did 375x5. So this week, should I attempt 415x5 again, or just do 385x5 and keep working back up? I've never been 100% sure about protocols for missed reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Soda View Post
    Last week I was planning to do 415x5, but after 1 rep, I felt I did not have it in me. Just felt tired or "off" that day. This was after taking a week off. The previous DL workout (last one before the week break) was 405x5.

After lifting 415x1, I de-loaded and did 375x5. So this week, should I attempt 415x5 again, or just do 385x5 and keep working back up? I've never been 100% sure about protocols for missed reps.

sometimes you just haven't recovered properly on the day. Do 415 x 5 again, I bet you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    sometimes you just haven't recovered properly on the day. Do 415 x 5 again, I bet you get it.
    This is what I would do too. Some days you might not have it and need a little additional recovery. Go after 415.

Why not do 410x5, since your last successful 5RM was 405?

I would repeat the 405.
    Why would you add 10lbs to your work weight after a week off?

Quote Originally Posted by Vogstar View Post
    I would repeat the 405.
    Why would you add 10lbs to your work weight after a week off?
    Because he didn't take the week off fully. He hit a single at 415 and then did 5 at ~90%. So, now he's had an extra dose of volume and more time for recovery. If he doesn't make the 415 this week, then he could back off to 395 (~95%) and start working up in 5 lb increments.

At these weights, it may also be time to start rotating in some pulling alternatives a la PP3/Andy Baker or start rotating rep ranges (i.e., 1x5, 2x3, 3x2, 5x1).

I would recommend giving a serious evaluation of the situation and asking WHY did you miss the reps. Then you will know what to do

I bet if you skip deads this week, next week you'll hit 415 X 5.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    This makes sense.

This does not.

You're wrong. Taking a week off of dead lifting after hitting 4 plates and when showing signs of overtraining them, which the OP seemed to be showing signs of should lead to recovery and increase in expressed strength.
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 03-26-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast