starting strength gym

Thread: What is wrong with my Squat?

Default What is wrong with my Squat?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Long story short, I tore my groin squatting about a year ago and have had to "relearn" how to Squat.

I'm back up to 140kg (308lbs) now and I had my friend record this milestone for me. Upon watching it back, basically, what is wrong with my Squat? It looks, wierd to me.

Squat 140kg Set 2 of 3 (5 reps) - YouTube

Any ideas? I can't get ATG anymore since my groin injury.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

As someone who has undoubtedly read the book a few times by this point, I am sure you realize that we do not advocate going ass to grass. However, you do need to get below parallel. Right now, you are several inches high. Your stance is too wide, your toes pointed straight ahead, your knees are not out enough, you are looking up, you are lifting your chest, and your thumbs are wrapped around the bar. Have you read Starting Strength? There's a fair amount of background material there that I cannot cover here. All of those things are form faults. Do me a favor, review the squat chapter and try this again. Let's see what you come up with.

Thanks for the feedback.

Obviously I haven't read the book, I'm one of those "help me for free" guys, so apologies for that. I found starting strength on bodybuilding.com

Tonight I adopted a thumbless grip and although it felt wierd, I feel it a good change to make. I have had to use a wider grip on the bar to do so and I like it.

I have also consciously tried to point my toes out at more of an angle and definitely feel it more in my quads now.

I must admit I find it difficult to adopt a narrower stance though. I feel my current stance is quite narrow as it is but perhaps not

I will upload a video next week and hopefully you see some improvement.

Thanks for the advice, I understand it's probably frustrating when people clearly haven't read the book and ask for free advice.

As an aside, I have been told to always keep my chest raised and do.find it difficult to do otherwise

As for depth, I jumped from 135kg to 140kg because 3 plates basically. So yeah depth wasn't great.

Quote Originally Posted by steemonkey View Post
    As an aside, I have been told to always keep my chest raised and do.find it difficult to do otherwise
    This is a common cue given to people while squatting, but not one we use very often. As with many things, a full, very detailed explanation is found in the book. Happy reading.