starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat Training Shoes - Metal DL, Sabo DL, or other??

Default Flat Training Shoes - Metal DL, Sabo DL, or other??

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I KNOW this has been beat to death in the past, but I wanted get some opinions on the best (non-raised heel/flats) shoe for deads and squats. Currently, I wear the Hyper Throws from Asics, which aren't bad. However, I've done my fair share of interweb searching and found the Metal Deadlift shoes and the Sabos (as well as the Mark Bell Reebok CF's) as the likely candidates for an "optimum" option.

A little background:

I started out in Sambas, which weren't horrible, but weren't great either. I then bought the 1/2" heeled Do-Wins, which just put my knees too far forward (felt really awkward) for squats and never helped for deads, so I stopped wearing them. Then, I went back to Sambas for a while, but ultimately switched to the Hyper Throws about a 1.5 years ago. The Hypers aren't bad, but I feel like the support and stability lessens during the heavy sets (over 400 for me) of squats and deads.

So, looking at my current options (just thought of a third/fourth):

1. Stick with the Hypers and make no changes;
    2. Get the heel shaved off my do wins to create flats with two great straps on each shoe;
    3. Buy another pair of shoes - (a) metal DL's; (b) Sabos; (c) Reebok Crossfit (not too keen on these, but wanted to include just as another option).

Linky's to the websites for these different shoes:

http://gometal.com/product/powerlifting-shoes/

SABO Deadlift Lifting shoes by SABO | MAXbarbell LLC

Men CrossFit High Top Shoes | Reebok US

Thanks in advance...

Murelli Guest

Option two will work great for squats, but you'll still be deadlifting from a small deficit.

People like the Reebok, and some guys liked the Sabo Goodlift (there's a thread about them). Sabo deadlift has received a lot of good reviews for deadlifting too, don't know much about squatting.

I would buy a flat shoe with a very thin sole if I were you (Sabo goodlift or deadlift).

The Reebok Power Shoe gets my highest recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    The Reebok Crossfit Lites or whatever (is that the same shoe you mean, Shug?) with the insoles removed are the best flat shoe I've found. Better than Sabo Deadlifts.

But I only deadlift in them. All other lifts are done in Romaleos.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    The Reebok Crossfit Lites or whatever (is that the same shoe you mean, Shug?) with the insoles removed are the best flat shoe I've found. Better than Sabo Deadlifts.
    Yes those are the ones. (Crossfit Lite TR) I have never tried them with the insoles removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post

But I only deadlift in them. All other lifts are done in Romaleos.
    I have the Reebok Crossfit Lites as well and I love them. Originally, I only used them to deadlift, but now I use them exclusively, except for Front Squats.

I need to try it with the insole removed.

Edit: Actually, Shug, it was one of your posts a while ago (can't remember which one) that made me consider squatting in flat shoes. I haven't used heeled shoes to squat in since.

This could be a good option too (never tried them though).

I got the Sabo's 18months ago as a present. I like them and use them for deadlifting instead of my Romaleos. To be perfectly honest though, I don't think there would be any difference in my max DL between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    I have the Reebok Crossfit Lites as well and I love them. Originally, I only used them to deadlift, but now I use them exclusively, except for Front Squats.

I need to try it with the insole removed.

Edit: Actually, Shug, it was one of your posts a while ago (can't remember which one) that made me consider squatting in flat shoes. I haven't used heeled shoes to squat in since.
    Shhh... you are going to get me in trouble.

I also use an old pair of Black & Red checkered Vans a good 80% of the time for Deadlifts.

starting strength coach development program
    ^LOL. I'll pass on the vans :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast