starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do you prefer full body routines to splits?

Default Why do you prefer full body routines to splits?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    Hi Mark,

I've been looking at different Texas Method set ups recently and see some strong people on here like using 4 day a week splits, having bench and press intensity days for both each week, and increasing the weight for both lifts every week. From what you've written (I searched the board and re-read the intermediate section of PP before posting), I'm under the impress you prefer the 3 day a week Texas Method programme to splits for intermediates.

My question: if the bench and press can be increased every week, rather than each being every other week, why do you prefer alternating them each week with a 3 day a week programme?
    On paper, the 4DAW upper/lower split allows you to progress I'm both lifts faster, but I'm sure you've already considered this and have a reason for preferring the 3DAW Full body programme.

Thanks

You don't actually own a copy of PPST2, do you?

I've just read the intermediate chapter again and I think you might be talking about the part where it says 5 sets of 5 cannot usually be recovered from if done more than once a week?

The rough template for the split I'm talking about is:
    Mon - Bench 1x5, presses 3-5x5, chin ups, assistance (dips or something)
    Tue - Squats 5x5, assistance
    Thu - Press 1x5, Bench 3-5x5, Chin ups, assistance
    Frid - Squats 1x5, Deadlifts 1x5, assistance

So the 5x5 isn't done at a heavy weight (and it can't be after a 1-5RM on the other lift), only there to get in some more volume on the pressing movements.

In the standard TM you've written about, bench and presses are alternated every week, with only 1's intensity day being increased every week, so that bench is increased every 2 weeks, and so is the press. I wanted to know, if both lifts 1-5RMs can be increased each week, why do you prefer alternating them? Is it because it's your experience that both can't be increased weekly for very long, or is there something I'm missing?

There are some strong folks on here who use something similar, so I'm not trolling. I'm just wondering why you seem to prefer the alternating weekly of bench/presses

Thanks again

Eat the pepper Kregna.

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    I've just read the intermediate chapter again and I think you might be talking about the part where it says 5 sets of 5 cannot usually be recovered from if done more than once a week?
    No. I'm talking about the part where you said:

I'm under the impress (sic) you prefer the 3 day a week Texas Method programme to splits for intermediates.
    There is a split routine in the intermediate chapter.

Seems on the Q&A you recommend the split in general for powerlifters and for people who have a hard time recovering from a full body workout?

I did it myself for many years. It's the program listed after the TM for this reason.

I was wondering what reason you might choose the 3DAW full body routine rather than a split? Time constraints? Or are there training benefits ?

It is a smoother transition from the 3x/week novice program.

starting strength coach development program
    Understood, thanks for the replies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast