starting strength gym

Thread: Question about how much weight you add to lifts as post-TM intermediate

Default Question about how much weight you add to lifts as post-TM intermediate

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hey y'all,

I've been strength training for ~5 years now, but I've only been training seriously using SS principles for the last two. I ran SS beginning in September 2015 and ended up with a 325x5 squat, with my BW going from 145 to 188 at 5'7". I then ran TM beginning that summer until December 2016 (with a number of vacations and breaks in between) and finished with a 415x1 squat, BW went from 188 to 200. Since about this February, I've been training using 5 week DUP-style cycles. Lifts have gone up, but very slowly. BW has gone up to about 206. Squat is currently at 440x1, bench is 305x1, and deadlift is at 450x1. I've been able to add only a few pounds per cycle per lift. I'm curious what progress looks like for people at similar training levels. Is adding 5-10 lbs to my bench every 3-6 weeks average for someone with my lifts, or should I be expecting more progress?

Quote Originally Posted by Laidbackzack View Post
    Is adding 5-10 lbs to my bench every 3-6 weeks average for someone with my lifts, or should I be expecting more progress?
    That sounds about right.

Your deadlift seems comparatively low, though. I'd try to figure out why it's low, make necessary adjustments & drive the deadlift max up aggressively

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    That sounds about right.

Your deadlift seems comparatively low, though. I'd try to figure out why it's low, make necessary adjustments & drive the deadlift max up aggressively
    Ok, thanks. Deadlift has always been relatively shitty compared with the rest of my lifts I assume because it takes a back seat in traditional SS/TM. I've since added volume, and it is increasing quickly.

marcf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Laidbackzack View Post
    Is adding 5-10 lbs to my bench every 3-6 weeks average for someone with my lifts, or should I be expecting more progress?

Just kidding.

I don't know how long you'll be able to sustain 5-10 pound increases in your bench every 6 weeks if you even progress at that rate because you're already benching 305. I think you could taper off really quickly and make closer to 5 pound gains during that time frame depending on how optimal your training is. I finished my LP with a 300lb touch-and-go bench and have only added another 30 pounds to that (still TnG), and it's been about 8 months now.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post

Just kidding.

I don't know how long you'll be able to sustain 5-10 pound increases in your bench every 6 weeks if you even progress at that rate because you're already benching 305. I think you could taper off really quickly and make closer to 5 pound gains during that time frame depending on how optimal your training is. I finished my LP with a 300lb touch-and-go bench and have only added another 30 pounds to that (still TnG), and it's been about 8 months now.
    Thanks for that info. That helps put things into perspective. Just wanted to make sure that I'm doing everything correctly.