starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    I regularly record my workouts, but never from this angle. It looks pretty ugly to me, to be honest, but I don't really have the tools to analyze it.

My Edited Video - YouTube

As per another thread, I've stalled out pretty quickly on the novice progression while staying fairly conservative, so any help is appreciated.

You need to slow down. Pause at the top. Get a big breath and get tight. Drive your knees out harder. Control your descent more. You are not even close to stalling, however. You just need to actually get tighter and get better control of how you are moving. Where do you live?

Hey Tom - no idea why I'm not finding some of these replies/getting them in my email. Sorry for the slowness on responding.

First - this is post 3rd reset from 180 pounds. I get to about 160, every 5 pound jump gets MUCH harder, till about 180, then I start missing on rep 1 or 2 of the first set. As in get to the bottom, can't get back up, bar on the pins scenario. My first pass through starting strength earlier in the year was identical, at the same weights. Are you saying this is purely a form problem? That would be good news.

I can certainly slow down. If you don't mind I'd like to ask dumb questions (I have roughly the kinesthetic awareness of a corpse). What do you mean by drive knees out harder? I assume not further, as they're tracking over my feet. Do you mean lead with my knees out rather than with my ass back? I recognize the challenge of coaching via the internet like this, but I'm pretty frustrated and wanna get this fixed.

I live in DC - I have about a 2 hour afternoon window between my day job and my night job where I can fit a workout in (I'm assuming you're going to encourage me to see a SSCC, which I'd love to do, but time is an issue).

Quote Originally Posted by oldpuck View Post
    Are you saying this is purely a form problem? That would be good news.
    Based on your video, your form is definitely lacking. You will be able to squat more weight more safely by lifting with better technique.

What do you mean by drive knees out harder? I assume not further, as they're tracking over my feet.
    I mean your knees are not going out on either side far enough. Your toes also probably need to point out more and you are dancing around with your feet while under the bar.

Do you mean lead with my knees out rather than with my ass back?
    Nope. Knees out more. It will be fun. I promise.