starting strength gym

Thread: Hip Impingement (Not FAI) Deadlift Query.

Default Hip Impingement (Not FAI) Deadlift Query.

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Hello,

Briefly I've been experiencing what I deem hip impingement using the dead lift method Coach Rippetoe outlines in his starting strength book.

The impingement occurs during the lower of the torso from the static standing position to reaching over and grabbing the bar (I notice the impingement even before bringing the shins to the bar.)

I'm uncertain if I am simply not built for conventional dead lifts but I am interested in if this is a common error you have encountered before with other athletes.

For reference:
    I'm 6ft 6, my stance is about 8-9inches between my heels.

I have 1.2 Metre legs,
    80cm femur.
    60cm tibia.
    80cm torso.
    Arms are around 1.2m.

From what I believe is occurring I am experiencing essentially the same impingement as referenced on page 47 (3rd image.)

I have noticed ways of alleviating the impingement which are the following:
    Sumo dead lift (no impingement.)
    Bracing and setting my spine at the top of the lift rather than reaching over kyphotically rounded and then bringing the shins to the bar. (minor impingement in comparison.)
    Standing with a 45* foot stance rather than the 30 and shoving my knees out as much as possible. (less useful, more impingement than fix above mentioned.)

I am working with some very talented power lifters who have had seminars with individuals such as Ed coan & the lillibridge brothers meaning I have access to information regarding this.
    I am scheduled to move through the lift with them at a later stage of training but any information beforehand would be greatly appreciated. (I have about 6 weeks before I am scheduled to move through the lift.)

Thank you for the fantastic literature and my apologies for failing to grasp a concept within this book I am fundamentally certain this is my error and not the literature's, I want to clarify that clearly and concisely before receiving an answer.

- Brad.

You are a tall dude, but there is not much I can say without seeing your deadlift. You may be impinging your hip, but it is not the most likely of circumstances. Once again, I cannot say from here. There are lots of ways of making the deadlift easier. Few of them are worthwhile. The talented powerlifters of which you speak probably won't agree with much of anything I have to say anyway. So, I can provide you advice if I see your video. However, given that it takes me time to do so and you are going to work with other coaches who will most likely tell you different things from me, I am not sure how worthwhile of an exercise it would be.