starting strength gym

Thread: Sensory feedback for hitting depth in the squat

Default Sensory feedback for hitting depth in the squat

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    For those of us that have difficulty with seeing depth in our minds eye, would it make sense to maybe setup some pins in our rack below our safeties at the proper depth and tie a band across it? This way you could get some sensory feedback (feel your butt touch the band). The band isn't going to stop you like a box or a chair, but give you that sensory feeling of knowing you hit the correct depth. There are times that I feel like I'm going nice and deep, and then I review video and it looks like I'm 3+ inches too high. Very frustrating.

I live in MA, and would love to work with an SSC in person to help me work on my form. But unfortunately there isn't any SSC's in MA. I'm thinking about maybe contacting Wolf and setting up some sessions with him in NY. Or maybe I'll try and convince him to move to Boston :-).

I'm also planning on attending an SS seminar as soon as I can find one that fits my schedule best.

Pins or a box both work, but they do change the squat a little bit. I frequently use paused box squats to solve depth and technique problems. Be conservative with loading since the pause that you will likely use with a box or pins will mute the stretch reflex. I don't recommend pure touch and go reps since you need to account for the external object that makes itself known in the middle of your rep.