starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlifts (trying to feel it)

Default Deadlifts (trying to feel it)

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Okay here is my latest Deadlift session. I watched some Rippetoe vids and was ready to go. I tried to get my shins closer to the bar and I think I should feel "tight" when I reach down and grab the bar but I still feel like it's slipping and sliding too much. I keep having to readjust and pull the bar closer etc. Anyway, I'm trying and ready to hear advice.

I also went for a couple of singles (not something I do regularly as you can see from my videos) and had a shaky rep that was hilarious but also my cue that I've reached my max and need to concentrate on form.

http://youtu.be/JtHaGcZnaA4

Quote Originally Posted by DJ2JD View Post
    Okay here is my latest Deadlift session. I watched some Rippetoe vids and was ready to go. I tried to get my shins closer to the bar and I think I should feel "tight" when I reach down and grab the bar but I still feel like it's slipping and sliding too much. I keep having to readjust and pull the bar closer etc. Anyway, I'm trying and ready to hear advice.

I also went for a couple of singles (not something I do regularly as you can see from my videos) and had a shaky rep that was hilarious but also my cue that I've reached my max and need to concentrate on form.

http://youtu.be/JtHaGcZnaA4
    I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but have you read the book? Your set-up doesn't look like the set-up Rip advocates, and your commentary doesn't sound like you understand the order of operations. 275 was way too far out in front of your legs. You're not doing the "getting squoze" step, but appear to be trying to grab the bar with your back already in extension. Your heavier reps looked better, but your gaze is off. If you had the book, you'd be able to see a lot of these issues pretty clearly for yourself. I train alone and use lots of video to find and correct a lot of these things for myself.

It looks like you're setting up generally ok as far as position goes, but here's the deal: your lower back needs to be set every time you deadlift and it doesn't look like that's happening right now. It's hard to tell due the angles and the lighting (not really your fault), but it looks like your lower back stays "soft" when you start pulling off the floor. This is a big no-no. Once you get your hands on the bar, then push your shin into the bar and knees out into the elbows, your next step is to set your entire back. Right now you puff up your chest and set your upper back and kind of ignore your lower back.

It's not uncommon for a newer trainee to not know how to make that happen, so try this out to get an idea of what to flex: lay down on the ground face down, put your hands behind your head, lock your knees and try to pull your knees and thighs off the floor by "squeezing your lower back together". Those the muscles you should use to set your back during the deadlift.

Thanks for the feedback. I've admittedly been focusing on the squat but feel like it's time to give my deadlift just as much attention now. I'll re-read the book. I do own it but I read and research all day at work and prefer videos for lifting instruction. Still - I'll give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ2JD View Post
    I tried to get my shins closer to the bar and I think I should feel "tight" when I reach down and grab the bar but I still feel like it's slipping and sliding too much. I keep having to readjust and pull the bar closer etc.
    You're supposed to drag the bar up your shins -- that's why we wear long socks or sweats on deadlift day. I don't mean just keep the bar softly in contact with your shins on the way up -- DRAG it against the shins in a way that will be uncomfortable for the first few months. You have the bar hovering out in front of you, which doesn't work. The fact that you have to shuffle forward a half step between reps to get close to the bar again should be a giveaway that you are failing to keep the barbell against your body during the movement.
    Also, lose the knee sleeves when you're deadlifting -- those are for squats, and you'll just shred them once you start dragging the bar up correctly in your deadlifts. One other thing is to quit admiring yourself in the mirror. Your gaze needs to be forward and down -- from this video, it appears you're lifting your face to check yourself out in the glass. That's not the proper way to do things.
    As for the shaking, there's nothing wrong with that. Just means you're nervous system is kicking into overdrive to get the barbell up to lockout.
    Good luck with your lifting.

Apologies for the double post.
    Last edited by Peoria; 05-16-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Erased extra posting of the same message.

I'm usually more fussy than most, but in the case of this vid not so. I think these look fine. Your setup could/should be more methodical and you can eek out some more t-spine extension, but nothing seems grossly off.

Regarding lumbar extension: looks really damn good to me. Even on the max rep I see minimal flexion. It's very easy to mistake butt & a little thickness in the lower back for lumbar flexion. I think you actually have excellent control of your erectors.

The bar may get a bit forward at the start and during the pull...but again, I don't think it looks too bad.

I'd think you're refining rather than overhauling.

P.S. i'm usually pretty openminded...but next time a skinny turd is doing speed squats in the NASM approved style next to you (like the dude in the black&grey shorts), stop your workset and frisbee a 25# plate into the offender's throat.

That is all.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    P.S. i'm usually pretty openminded...but next time a skinny turd is doing speed squats in the NASM approved style next to you (like the dude in the black&grey shorts), stop your workset and frisbee a 25# plate into the offender's throat.

That is all.
    Show some respect for Karwoski and Frisbee the communist 35 lb plates instead.