starting strength gym

Thread: DL: Set up, back angle, my weak erectors, etc.

Default DL: Set up, back angle, my weak erectors, etc.

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I try my best to use the advocated set up, and I know he mentions that some people may end up with a back angle that is close to parallel to the floor. I am one of those people. I pulled an ugly 430lbs on Friday, losing my back almost right away. With deadlifts it feels like I get to the point where I'm pulling the bar easily, but my back starts to give too much, reset for my erectors to catch up, rinse and repeat.

I have a few vids here, vastly different ranges and one that is a bit older. I train with a group of people, and they all suggest I drop my hips just a teensy bit. I know it's not advocated here, and it feels awkward the times I've tried it. I even tried an ed coan style stance and set up and that felt very uncomfortable as well, and my low back got tired even faster at lower weights. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it. Anyway I'm rambling now so here are the vids:

430x1, was intended to be a double but first rep felt too ugly to continue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04uUcCu_TIY

395x4, also not the prettiest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQqTd__hwrk

315x10, silly old video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DockX5JBwlQ

So is it a matter of setting up? Losing the gut would help me get in the position better, and it's something I'm going to work on. I don't plan on my weights going up this summer, just going to focus on maintaining as best I can. Currently 260lbs approx 25% bf.

On my quick view, it just looks like a strength issue. Do you have videos that you consider to be good? It looks like you are able to consciously control your erectors from your setup, but we should probably check that out. Look for Rip's video on lower back control.

I had an issue somewhat like this, although it was thoracic, not lumbar, and I had to lower the weight about 100 lbs and work back up. I think that your erectors need to get stronger. Don't be too proud to drop the weight. Take video of every set, and make sure that you don't lose extension in your lower back. If you do, don't go up in weight until you fix it. In the long run, you'll be better off.

I don't see much of a setup. I see you attempt to get into lumbar extension, but it rounds as soon as the bar gets off the floor and you never really look tight to start with. I'm sure the weight is heavy too, but I think you have a technique issue to sort out. Don't rush the setup. Get into position and lift it once you're fully set.

I can't tell from this angle, but I have a suspicion (can you verify?) that although your toes are slightly out, your knees are not tracking in line with them. In other words, knees out a bit will help counter your gut getting in the way.

This one is a bit old, and I'm also about 50lbs lighter. I think the lack of gut allowed me to get into position a little better here, though I do end up losing my back a little by the end of the set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAnG_QuON4s

You're probably right. I'll cut back the weight, and focus on losing BF% for a little while. Do you recommend RDLs as well, or just stick to this for the time being? I'm currently running 5/3/1, using sets of 12 for back extensions and standing crunches as assistance for squats and DLs, respectively. Also cable rows to aid with thoracic extension.

Ok, so on Friday I did my deload week which was 275, 300, 325 for 5 each. Looked perfect, no problems there. I am thinking now of alternating DLs and PCs to keep making progress. Maybe I can add 5lbs to my DLs every DL workout, working with the same weights and rep ranges? i.e. Friday the 22nd I'd pull 280, 305, 330 for 5 each. As for PCs, maybe 3 sets of 3 and add weight as I see fit?