starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check for my 7 year old son

Default Squat form check for my 7 year old son

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Before I post the video, I have to admit that I am very nervous to post this here. I have posted videos on a few other times and have gotten thrashed...

However, my wish to have a better idea of how to progress now outweighs my fear of decimation, so here I am.

Here is a video of my son from 2 days ago.

(Here is the link in case the preview didn't work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew35ieLAcQU)
    My initial observation of this video is that he is really tired, and only gets to correct depth on maybe 1/2 of them. That is not normal for him, but is still an issue.

Beyond that, I do think he leans forward on one or two of the reps, but again I chalk that up to being tired. Not good and no excuse, but I am aware of it.

Does anyone else have any thoughts, advice on how we can continue to improve his form?

Advice is appreciated (but please go easy on me!)

I don't have any specific advice, but for what it's worth, you have my full support. No thrashing from me!

Yeah, start 'em young before they learn to get weak.

But next time take the video in landscape mode.

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis6890 View Post
    But next time take the video in landscape mode.
    Seriously? It's not that I can't take a landscape video, but I thought for something like a squat form, why would you care about seeing more of my messy storage room? I figured we would want to see more of the person whose form we are looking at...

<shrug> I can take the next one landscape if that's really better...

I was one of the ones who yelled at you. I believe my complaint was that he was losing all tightness in the lower back to get his rear end down to the ground. These are much better.

Turn his toes out some more, and have him get his knees out. This should fix the depth. Just don't let him collapse his lower back. I'd check the bar position on his back--it looks a little high, but you need to check it. He could stand to look down.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    I was one of the ones who yelled at you. I believe my complaint was that he was losing all tightness in the lower back to get his rear end down to the ground. These are much better.

Turn his toes out some more, and have him get his knees out. This should fix the depth. Just don't let him collapse his lower back. I'd check the bar position on his back--it looks a little high, but you need to check it. He could stand to look down.
    Thank you for the advice on how to better get depth, we will try that when we left on Sunday (just lifted last night), and I agree completely on the his head position and where he was watching. I should have corrected that during the lift, but I missed it.

Bar position is something I waffle on sometimes... I had a friend of mine who is a personal trainer help me to be as sure as I can be that the bar is across the spine of the shoulder blade, and as far as we can tell, it is, but I am happy to take another look at it if you think we should. I think it looks high because his should blades are just so small... We tried to use this photo from SS as a gauge:

But again, I am happy to look at it again if you think we need to lower it...

Seriously? It's not that I can't take a landscape video, but I thought for something like a squat form, why would you care about seeing more of my messy storage room?
    You're right - basically replacing black side-bars with visuals of my (or your) garage.

But I think somewhere on the internet I read that when posting videos they should always be landscape. And since I read it on the internet, it must be true.

Anyway... keep up the good work. The kid has much better technique than I do.

From what I can see only the stance needs work, looks like the toes are pointing forward which is why he can't get as deep. Looks great though, would love to get my kids lifting. But I need kids first.

Quote Originally Posted by Shion View Post
    From what I can see only the stance needs work, looks like the toes are pointing forward which is why he can't get as deep. Looks great though, would love to get my kids lifting. But I need kids first.
    Yes, I see that now. We lifted last night with his toes pointing more out (we are still working on exactally how far out, but that seems like it will take a few sessions). I think it will do a lot to help him get the right depth, so thank you as well for this advice.

Once I think we have the right to position for him, I will record another video and try to post it again (we will also "look into" his eye/head position).

starting strength coach development program
    It looks like you two are having fun, and that's really cool to see. Love it.