starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift Form Check

Default Deadlift Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Camera ran out of memory in beginning of work set, this is my last warm up set of 1x2 @ 245#

http://youtu.be/mN6BacsmEU0

These are a little all over the place. Have you read the book? If not, read it. If so, re-read the DL chapter. Your setup is not helping you.

1) Rolling the bar into your shins instead of accommodating your stance to a stationary bar will lead, as it does in your video, to the bar being in front of the midfoot.
    2) You start your hips too low. Notice how you jerk them up before the bar actually leaves the floor?
    3) You're not dragging the bar up your legs. This means the bar is forward of the midfoot, which fucks with your leverage getting it off the floor.

These are all related and will be remedied if you follow the setup, step by step, from the book. There are other nitpicks but let's start here.

You can get 245 off the floor fine with this form, but you will quickly run into issues once the weight gets heavy.

Film another set using exactly the setup from SS and we'll go from there.

Ya I've read the book I just needed another opinion. I have done the bar starting an inch from shins then gripping the bar, but I didn't feel that my back stayed flat, which I was scared off doing. Could be a lack of flexibility. I will repost with improved setup next week. I believe that the change in setup, opposed to rolling the bar in, will aid in #2 and #3 of your points.

Thank you for your help and time.

I think the 'squeeze your chest up' part of the DL setup is by far the hardest part. It's not easy. But the problem with the way you're doing it is that the bar is front of the midfoot. You can get away with that at light weights but eventually you'll be toast. The bar won't budge. Trust me.

OK, I gotcha. The guy "trying" to film my work set at 260 pretty much said the same thing, the bar was coming away from my shins/legs. Will post repost all within a week or two when form has improved.