starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check - is my lower back position okay?

Default Deadlift form check - is my lower back position okay?

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I've been working hard to set my lower back for the deadlift for a while now , but it's turning out to be pretty hard to 'feel' whether my lower back is in position or not. So I'd love your feedback on whether it looks okay and if I can start adding more weight to the bar. FYI, I'm 33, 179 lbs.

Deadlift (135 lbs, only set, of 5):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOReF3-Gb2A&t=0m7s

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by leo92; 07-26-2013 at 12:49 AM.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

You could probably afford to extend it a little harder, but I'm not concerned about that degree of back "rounding."

Have you looked at the Lower Back Position Control video in the Resources section? It has some good drills to help you feel what your lower back is doing.

Brodie, thanks for the feedback. I assume the rest of my form is okay - position of the hips, etc is fine - else you'd probably have mentioned something. I will increase the weight based on this and try harder to extend my back.

I had seen the Lower Back Position Control video and have found it very useful for the squat. Somehow, with the deadlift starting position, I find it hard to feel my lower back. I guess that will probably improve with time. I should probably do the lower back arching exercise (set of 10) that Rip recommends towards the end of the video before I begin my workout. Would that be a good idea?

Thanks again.