starting strength gym

Thread: Shittiest deadlifter ever

Default Shittiest deadlifter ever

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Ok, title is a bit over the top, but I feel this way about my deadlifts. There's only a 20kg spread between my squat and my deadlift... and until last week I only high bar squatted!

Do you see any major flaws in my technique? (350lb x 5)

(Yes, recently I started using straps for my top set because I noticed my shoulders were growing imbalanced, I already do farmer's walks, kroc rows and such)

Thank you for your kind attention.

Quote Originally Posted by El Rojo View Post
    Ok, title is a bit over the top, but I feel this way about my deadlifts. There's only a 20kg spread between my squat and my deadlift... and until last week I only high bar squatted!

Do you see any major flaws in my technique? (350lb x 5)

(Yes, recently I started using straps for my top set because I noticed my shoulders were growing imbalanced, I already do farmer's walks, kroc rows and such)

Thank you for your kind attention.
    Keep the bar over mid-foot during your set-up. Meaning don't drop your hips and push it forward, and don't start with it forward. You made both of these errors throughout the set. Make sure the bar is over mid-foot and your own weight are balanced on your midfoot, then think about squeezing the bar up your legs, no yanking or jerking.

And don't breathe out at lockout! You may utilize your full share of the planet's oxygen supply when the bar is on the floor. Air is support, and you don't want to lose support for the spinal column at the top of the deadlift.

Was there someone deadlifting in that video? All I could see was a some guy waving his arms around In the mirror.

You really haven't seen very many nasty deadlifts have you?

Main thing here is what Adam said. Bar over the mid foot and keep your air in. One thing I'd like to add is to keep your head still the entire time. I have this theory that lifters start waving their head around in an effort to "pull back on the bar." In order to correct this one must first understand the mechanics of hip extension. When the bar passes your knees, instead of lifting the head, keep it still, squeeze your ass and "hump the bar." Your hips, glutes, and hamstrings lockout the deadlift, not your upper back. You won't be able to really feel this happening if you're yanking your head up when it gets hard. Keep calm and hump the bar buddy.

Great advice, Adam. I already kept the bar closer on my volume day's snatch grip deadlifts and it felt great! Thanks!

Schmatt, same guy later asked me for a spot on the bench and I had to do 4 or 5 full-effort upright rows... LOL Pre-beach season, you know.

Robert I know it's not that ugly, I was addmitedly attention-whoring a little bit. Thank you for your advice, I'll try to make a double chin throughout the set.