starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Squat Form Check

Default 1st Squat Form Check

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    This is todays workout. 175 lbs at 170 lbs bodyweight. (setup starts at t=10 seconds)

Thanks.

Needs thoracic extension, badly. Lift your chest (and drop your elbows a little) and fix your eyes on a spot on the floor about 5 feet in front of you, not between your heels. Stay in your hips. Meaning think about driving the hips straight up all the way to to top. I'd narrow the stance a little bit also.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Needs thoracic extension, badly. Lift your chest (and drop your elbows a little) and fix your eyes on a spot on the floor about 5 feet in front of you, not between your heels. Stay in your hips. Meaning think about driving the hips straight up all the way to to top. I'd narrow the stance a little bit also.
    Thank you for the advice. I totally forgot about the thoracic spine. I was only focusing on keeping the lumbar neutral, not lifting the chest. To clarify,
    1. lift chest & slightly lower elbows
    2. fix eyes forward ~5 ft.
    3. think hip drive
    4. slightly narrow stance

Will try this Monday and post a video here. Thanks again.

Starts at 0:24

-I think I can narrow my grip about 1-2 inches. Bar felt more secure anyway now that I lifted my chest.

It looks like my squat hasn't improved since 185. Knees are still moving a bit at the bottom. My attention span is very short under the bar, so I might need some sort of cue to think about the whole set.

Quote Originally Posted by Byeah985 View Post
    My attention span is very short under the bar, so I might need some sort of cue to think about the whole set.
    What you might need is in person coaching

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Arnold View Post
    What you might need is in person coaching
    That's definitely preferred, but I'm afraid that that may not be an option. Attention span under the bar can be an easy fix anyway. I'll have some things to think about written in my journal for the next workout, and put in some more warm-up sets to work on the movement with the cues.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Timely indeed.

The bar felt much more secure, but my elbows may still be to high. I might need to put my thumbs around the bar for the next workout.

starting strength coach development program
    Some of those were a little high. Bury it every rep.

Your elbows are high, but it's because you need to get that chest up more BEFORE you get a big breath and then unrack. Shoving up into the weight of the bar some can help.

Lastly, drive the hips all the way to the top. You have good power, but it looks like you start lifting the chest a little towards the end.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast