starting strength gym

Thread: 852 OHP 2x week

Default 852 OHP 2x week

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Good afternoon sir, quick question. I've been running an 852 rep rotation for my upper body lifts and I'm really enjoying it.

This has been my current set up:
    Bench/ OHP/ CG Bench (3x8,3x5,2x5 with 1-2 x8 of back offs on my 5's and 2's week on OHP day)

On the back offs I usually just stick with the weight I used for the 8's week. I'm wanting to OHP (strict) twice a week for a change but need a plan for my medium day.

Would something like this work?
    Monday: Heavy Bench 8/5/2
    Weds: Heavy OHP 8/5/2 (no back off sets)
    FRI: 4x8 (maybe 5 sets???) @ 5% less than my "heavy" press day and micro loading up in a three week wave back to my starting 3x8 weight from weds.

I'm curious if I could stick with the 8's instead of a 8/5/2 medium day for more of a volume/hypertrophy based goal.
    I like to pair my heavy bench and squat on Monday because I feel more recovered from the 852 rotation in comparison to having the heavy bench in the middle of the week on other templates.

Thank you for your time sir.

Usually when I program the HLM stuff with 852 programming, the heavy day gets my 3 week wave of 8s, 5s, 2s, light day is lighter 5s, and medium day is lighter 8s. Pressing would usually be

Mon: Heavy Press 852, 3 week wave
    Weds: Press 5s (5-10% deload)
    Fri: Med Press 8s (5-10% deload)

Works awesome if you like a lot of vol and frequency on each lift

A)Would you keep the bench press in there and if so where ?or just press(OHP) 3x a week?. What would be your best recommendation? Thanks.

B) what would be a good amount of sets per day for this rotation for a starting point?

C) thank you so much sir, I really appreciate the response, you're the man!

Sorry I forgot to ask in the last reply but do stick with the lighter 5's and 8's weight till you reset or do you microload weekly and if so by how much?

Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdodd07 View Post
    A)Would you keep the bench press in there and if so where ?or just press(OHP) 3x a week?. What would be your best recommendation? Thanks.

B) what would be a good amount of sets per day for this rotation for a starting point?

C) thank you so much sir, I really appreciate the response, you're the man!
    Bench on Weds and maybe a bench session on Saturday

I've had good success with just 3 hard work sets. But anywhere between 3-5 total sets is usually sufficient