starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder issues from wreck holding back bench and press

Default Shoulder issues from wreck holding back bench and press

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    • starting strength seminar april 2025
    I injured my should a year ago and it is just now starting to feel mostly normal again. The problem I have is that when I bench heavy the arm with the injured shoulder breaks form on the last rep or three depending on the day. My press is always spot on, it is just the bench. I am looking to see if anyone has any advice on what to do in this situation. Assistance exercises, changes in weight, reps/set etc.

My numbers since those always seem to come up:

male
    200lbs

squat 240
    press 135
    bench 180

Thanks

Post a video of you benching.

Hard to give a solution when we can't see the problem.

What was the actual injury, how long have you been training, are you doing the LP, where did you start weight on this lift and what jumps are you using, and have you seen an SSC about it?

All of those will affect the answer you will get.

I will see if I can get a video, video of me benching is harder to get than some of the other lifts I do. This is due to how my gym is setup.

The injury was a strained rotator cuff by the doctors estimates. I was at 185lbs bench when I got injured doing LP, after the injury I moved all the way down to 85lbs on bench and 65 on the press. I was then doing LP till it would agitate my shoulder again and back down by a good 20 percent or more. I kept this going until I got back up to where I am now. I switched to 2.5lbs jumps about 4 months back due to me stalling out on press mostly. Bench has still been the tough one because it tends to make my shoulder flare up, where press does not.

I have not seen an SSC coach about it yet since there is only one anywhere near me. The problem when I am benching is that on my right arm, the injured one, my elbow flares out pretty bad. This did not happen before the injury, and doesn't happen on my left arm. I am right handed.

Thanks for the response.