starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift setup holding me back

Default Deadlift setup holding me back

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    My squat and bench have been climbing but my deadlift has felt off now for too long. Im 6'4 240lbs and nowhere near my old max of 519 and stuck pulling singles at 465. My setup feels awful and I can't seem to get my chest up without dropping my hips.

I was hoping someone would be able to point out exactly where I'm going wrong.

Thanks,
    Scott

In your setup push your knees out harder after you bring your shins to the bar. Also make sure the bar stays on your shins right as it breaks off the floor. It looks like right as the bar breaks from the floor it moves forward about a half inch. I can't really tell from the video if that's because your not pulling back on the bar to keep it tight to your body (my hunch) or your standing too close to the bar. Post another form check next time you deadlift after implementing these suggestions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGE_cZ09w50

Would it help if I lost the lifting shoes so my hips are lowered a bit? Also, where are my eyes supposed to be looking? If I want to have a neutral neck ill be looking almost straight down.

The best reps were the 405 singles at the end. Your still not setting your back all the way. Try with out the shoes and start your setup with the bar another half inch away from you. Still push the knees out before you pull in the setup. Your eye gaze should probably be about 15 feet in front of you on the floor so it is in a neutral position at the top of the lift.

These look much better, back is setting tighter. Keep focusing on the squeeze of the setup and keep up the good work.

Thanks so much for your time Nick.

starting strength coach development program
    No prob man.