starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this Texas Power Bar on Amazon Decent?

Default Is this Texas Power Bar on Amazon Decent?

• starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    Says it is made in Texas, but not sure if it is made by Capps.

Texas Power Bar

I have some Amazon credit and would like to get a barbell. Wouldn't like to spend much more than $300 and would like a center knurl.

Lots of CF barbells on Amazon, none of which have center knurls.

Any other recommendations that can be purchased on Amazon are welcome.

Looks like the real deal, but be aware that if you are very strong, TPB's can feel a bit whippy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Looks like the real deal, but be aware that if you are very strong, TPB's can feel a bit whippy.
    define very strong?

OP - picture looks like the right thing, but you may want to ask the seller.

lol, is this a problem you have often?
    I love TPBs. I would call and ask just in case.

It doesn't look like it is a Buddy Capp TPB. The page says it is from Ader, that two different knurling patterns are available and look at the other pictures. Call them and ask!

If you don't find a bar on amazon you could sell the credit on ebay or through a second-hand gift card site and buy something you want.

@ Dastardly: whippy???

Whippy = bendy (not bendy and in itll break, but springy)

Lots of powerlifters Ive spoken to who have used them, find them unnerving on both bench press and low bar squats. This may just be because they are used to more expensive or larger diameter powerlifting bars which are less bendy.

Probably not something that you would bother you till 400/500/600

Whippy = bendy (not bendy and in itll break, but springy)

Lots of powerlifters Ive spoken to who have used them, find them unnerving on both bench press and low bar squats. This may just be because they are used to more expensive or larger diameter powerlifting bars which are less bendy.

Probably not something that you would bother you till 400/500/600
    I don't know any powerlifters, but I was always under the impression that TPB's were really stiff.

I'm at 4/5/6 and I love, love, love my TPB. The USAPL meets in my area use them, and there are guys there who lift a hell of a lot more than me. Virtually EVERY 28.5 bar will have some flex to it. Even the WSPB, which is 29mm, and Rogue Power bar have some flex. I wouldn't describe either as whippy. The problem with larger diameter bars which have less flex, is they absolutely suck to bench and pull with.

Nice to hear your experience, I guess its a preference thing then. The guys ive heard from have actually think of TPB's as super dangerous, because I guess if they are used to the fatter stiffer bars, the oscillation throws them off. But if the USAPL meets are using them, its clear that if you are used to them it is fine. I might like to see some videos of the heaviest squats being done though, out of curiosity.

starting strength coach development program
    I know what whip is. The question marks are there because I've only heard the opposite complaint - that they are too stiff. I hope one day I am strong enough to have an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast