starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squatting Frequency

Default Squatting Frequency

• starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi guys - I'm after a bit of information. I'm 50yrs old but have been lifting consistently for just over 30yrs. I'm proficient in all lifts except the deadlift and squat - mainly because I've avoided doing those two exercises in the mistaken belief that they would trash my back and knees. Anyway, I realised late last year that I should be doing those exercises - hence I learnt to DL and SQ properly, and now love those exercises. My question relates to the squat: given my age, and the fact that my body is still adjusting to the stresses of squatting - how many times a week should I be squatting? I've tried squatting twice a week, but seem to be suffering a bit of leg soreness as a result. Should I be sticking to just 1 squat session a week? I'd appreciate anyone's opinions or experiences - thanks!

In my experience/opinion, squatting only once a week leads to excessive DOMS. I do not think you have to squat heavy more than once a week, just a light/recovery day.

It depends, when you say 'a bit of soreness' this is normal, your body will adapt to the stress over time. However if the soreness is preventing you completing a workout.. This is a different story.

What kind of weights are you moving?

Madmaxaus I'm only using what I consider to be light to moderate weights - I've only been squatting for 4 months and am spending a lot of time making sure my technique is good before piling on the weight. I'm currently only squatting about 90kg (not too good I know), but hope to be upping the weights soon. I'm just curious about whether once a week or twice a week is optimum - keeping recovery times in mind (and I know people are different).

Thanks luke.

Well twice a week will obviously lead to faster progression, as well as giving you more practice at the lift.

It's up to you, if you feel like you could squat twice a week, I recommend you do. If you think it's too much, then adjust and find what works for you, this may include 1 heavy squat day and 1 light 'recovery' squat day.

5/3/1 4 day split only once a week. I usually add in a light to moderate day sometime and I am 51.

My experience has been that squatting less than twice a week leads to increased soreness. You can certainly try once a week and see how it feels, but most of the people who have good results squatting once a week are squatting heavy once a week. Unless you are female and under 5'4" you are not yet squatting heavy.

HaHa Philbert I'm definitely male and 6'2", so I agree I'm not yet squatting heavy - making sure my technique is good, and looking forward to increasing weights very soon!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Rherington - I'm just about to embark on the 5/3/1 4 day split myself - what's your assessment of the routine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast