starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goals & help for a 240lbs novice

Default Goals & help for a 240lbs novice

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Hi guys,

I just have to place things into perspective and write down my game plan. I hope you guys can give me some feedback.

Stats:

-24yo M.
    -110 kg / 240lbs
    -183cm / 6ft
    -31% bf (according to the navy taper test)
    -a big 117cm gut / 46inch

Medical:

-low t
    -obesity related sleep apnea (doc says he expects my apnea to disappear If i get to 100kg)
    -depression

Goals:
    So obviously, I'm overweight. I breath heavy if I go up the stairs or walk too fast. I was very de-conditioned before I started training. Just squatting the bar was tiring, and still is unless I take a proper 5-7 min between sets. Here's my plan: do the SS Program until I reach a 5x 3 plate squat. After that I'll focus on losing the weight to 90-100kg to get rid of the apnea.

The How:
    If i get it correctly, at around 30% bf I'll have to focus on maintaining my weight and just train? And basically my body composition will change? So according to my calculations I will have to eat around 3,000 kcal. Does that sound about correct?

At your size, you should be able to make reasonable gains for quite some time but it depends on exactly how novice you are. What are your current training numbers?

Outside of rank novices, fat loss generally requires a deficit. While it isn't the standard Rx around here, I typically switch obese novices over to "advanced novice" programming pretty quickly once they've learned the lifts. I have them diet immediately. You'll always have a full LP run waiting for you when you're done dieting and can afford a surplus, but the cost/benefit of an obese person eating at or around a surplus is out of whack in my opinion.

Your primary focus should be nutrition. Learn about proper macronutrient ratios for strength. Count your macros. Manipulate macros to lose 0.5-1.0% BW per week. Google Jordan's To Be A Beast article for more details.

Training can be something like this:
    Mon:
    Squat: 3x5
    Bench/Press: 3x5
    Leg Curls/Back Extensions: 3x10*
    *or Power Clean 5x3 if you want

Tue:
    HIIT:
    5min Warm up
    7 rounds 20s on, 140s off
    10min Cool down

Wed
    Light Squat: 2x5 @60-80% of Mon
    Pull downs: 3x5

Fri:
    Deadlift: 1x5

Sat:
    HIIT:
    5min Warm up
    7 rounds 20s on, 140s off
    10min Cool down

Recovery will be compromised due to the deficit but you'll be alright if macros are on point. You'll need smaller jumps sooner than most people. If you run this 2-3 times, meaning up to stalls then 10% reset and build back up, you should get enough run to decrease body fat 10%+. It will leave you in a pretty good position to then add in a surplus and run the program as intended (or continue to early intermediate programming while continuing the deficit).
    Last edited by Tom Narvaez; 04-11-2016 at 02:42 PM.

In all honesty that doesn't sound realistic for me. I'm having recovery problems as it is. I can't imagine how it would be if I went on a deficit and added HIIT sessions on off days

Quote Originally Posted by 2) The Answer is Texas View Post
    In all honesty that doesn't sound realistic for me. I'm having recovery problems as it is. I can't imagine how it would be if I went on a deficit and added HIIT sessions on off days
    Tom's programming is sound. However, I think an initial venture into HIIT will be unsuitable for you, as I'm presuming (correct me if I'm wrong), that you have a marginal level of CV conditioning, outside of doing the lifts?

To that end, one must increase work capacity. Same idea, with a few mods:

Mon:
    Leg Curls/Back Extensions: 3x10*
    *or Power Clean 5x3 if you want

Tue:
    LISS:
    5min Warm up
    (might want to invest in a HR monitor) 15m @ 120 HR (after four weeks, increase to 25m, and see how you get on).
    10min Cool down

Wed
    Light Squat: 2x5 @60-80% of Mon
    Pull downs: 3x5

Fri:
    Deadlift: 1x5

Sat:

Phase One
    Metcon (if you like)

KB Swings: WK 1: 100 reps (start with a weight you can do for 10 reps) (time yourself, rest when you need to), WKs 2-4: 100 reps (aim to improve time), WKs 5-7: 200 reps (improve time)

Phase II (eight weeks in) HIIT:
    (I'd recommend upright bike or C2 Rower, those will be the least impactful upon recovery)
    5min Warm up
    5 rounds 15s on, 140s off
    10min Cool down

You don't have to do the LISS or Metcon on different days, if you can fit it into a post-strength session. The HIIT though, that's for different days, you'll want to be as fresh as you can be for them (off the back of a training session) so you can put as much effort in as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 2) The Answer is Texas View Post
    Recovery problems as evidenced by what, though? If it's the inability to add weight from session to session, that is alleviated in both these programs by adding weight only twice (or even once) a week, and taking smaller jumps. If it's just general beat-down-ness, then improving work capacity/conditioning should help as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    At your size, you should be able to make reasonable gains for quite some time but it depends on exactly how novice you are. What are your current training numbers?
    I forgot to reply to this. I purposely started with a nearly empty bar on all exercises to let my body take its time to adapt. At the moment:

Squat - 85 kg
    DeadL - 100 kg
    BenchP- 45 kg
    Press - 30 kg

(I used to be able to bench 100kgs as a freshman, I'm surprised how fast that number dropped in a few years)
    (the Presses were resetted after some shoulder issues)

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boa View Post
    Tom's programming is sound. However, I think an initial venture into HIIT will be unsuitable for you, as I'm presuming (correct me if I'm wrong), that you have a marginal level of CV conditioning, outside of doing the lifts?
    Your presumption is correct. To give you an idea, just a 15-30 minute slow walk makes my legs sore for a day or 2. If I walk too fast I get the same lactic acid sensation I used to get during boxing bouts in high school when I was underweight and skinny. (I used to recreationally box, can you believe that?)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Nelson View Post
    Recovery problems as evidenced by what, though? If it's the inability to add weight from session to session, that is alleviated in both these programs by adding weight only twice (or even once) a week, and taking smaller jumps. If it's just general beat-down-ness, then improving work capacity/conditioning should help as well.
    Adaptation issues. Sore knees, sharp shoulder and lower back pains. My lower back feels constantly tense since I started SS. At one moment it felt like my SI-joint was getting ripped apart by my legs. Mark Rippetoe told me to do a testosterone test. Lo and behold! Low testosterone levels.

I can add weight every workout because I started light and I'm taking baby steps. In fact, it almost feels like I can add more weight than my body can handle. It is difficult to describe. Like, I have no doubt I could put 20-40kg extra on the deadlift next workout and get it off the floor, but I'd probably pass out and wake up with agonizing back pain.

(PSMy PT gave me some lower back mobilization exercises, and those can provide temporary but orgasmic relief.)

Tex, whats your current programming, where are your lifts, and what re you eating now?

fwiw I started at around 265 @ 5'11" so I have some perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Rest View Post
    Tex, whats your current programming, where are your lifts, and what re you eating now?

fwiw I started at around 265 @ 5'11" so I have some perspective
    That's cool to hear man.

Programming:
    I'm kinda doing the standard LP novice program in SS:BBT, minus the power cleans because I haven't got the forearm flexibility for those yet. (I just do chin ups + the clean stretches instead). I'm temporarily only training on Mondays and Fridays because my sleep apnea device needs to get re-adjusted plus my endo took me off testosterone for further lab testing.

Lifts:

Squat - 85 kg
    DeadL - 100 kg
    BenchP- 45 kg
    Press - 30 kg
    Eating:
    3000 kcals

I've also been keeping a food journal for 6 months now. This is the avg nutritional breakdown of the last 10 weeks:
    carbs = 259 gr
    fat = 169 gr
    protein = 153 gr

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

If I were you, I'd cut the fat intake in half and up the protein intake by around 50g. But Jordan is probably better to ask about that than me. Counting macros sucks, but it's damn effective.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    If I were you, I'd cut the fat intake in half and up the protein intake by around 50g. But Jordan is probably better to ask about that than me. Counting macros sucks, but it's damn effective.
    yeah, I agree with Brodie. read this: To Be A Beast | Barbell Medicine

and use that to set your macros.

Also, and I hate to say it, but you may need to be lower than 3000cals. Maybe. Jordan could advise further.

good luck, and keep going

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast